Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:12 PM   #1

Default Canon T1i Memory card

What is the best brand and type memory card I should use with my Canon T1i? I take a lot of action shots if that matters. I have heard the scandisk extreme III would be the best, but I want to know for sure before I buy them. Also I know there are different class ratings, should I go for the class 6?
ken21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Sandisk Extreme III is a great choice for the t1i, i would not hesitate to buy.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:02 PM   #3

I shoot a lot of fire and rescue action stuff and have been using extreme III cards in my Sony D-SLRs. I have had no issues and the cards can easily keep up with the buffer in my camera. I would look at geting an 8GB card which should give you significant space for shooting action. On my 14 MP Sony I can get over 1400 highest quality jpg's on an 8GB card.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:48 PM   #4

Default sandisk difference

I have noticed on line the extreme II is a class 6 and the regular extreme is a class 10, which would work better for me?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:03 PM   #5

the II are usually Ultra II and the III are the Extreme IIIs. The class 10 cards (extreme III are faster and faster is better for action shooting. Try an 8GB for starters.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:41 PM   #6

Dave I don't know what I am doing wrong, but every where I look the extreme III keep saying class 6 and not 10. Or are you saying the extreme III is still faster than class 10 cards?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:59 PM   #7

The class 10 is a much faster card then the class 6 card. If you are planning to use the HD video, canon recommend at least a class 6.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:04 PM   #8

shoturtle... So am I looking at the wrong extreme III since they say class 6? If so which sandisk do you recommend that is a class 10? I am new to all this I just know everyone says to get sandisk. I thought the class 10 was faster, but I thought the extreme III was the fastest, but not from what I have been seeing. I mostly plan on just taking pictures and might on rare occasion use the video. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:18 PM   #9

Well Sandisk are very good card, but you pay a top dollars for the name. The Extreme III just recently got upgraded. They uses to be Class 6, so you will see class 6 extreme III card out there. But the new Extreme III are class 10. Got that info form a Sandisk rep visiting Adorama last month. So if you find some class 6 extreme, you will be fine and have a very good card. And will work just find for your HD. HD video eat up allot of space on your card. Each file can be upto 4gb if you shoot for the max time of 12 min.

If speed is not your biggest concern and do not want to pay the price for the name brand of sandisk. Panasonic, Kingston, transcend, Delkin efilms, and Lexar are all good cards in the class 6 range. And Panasonic has class 10 also.

I use a Delkin efilms 16gb which I got for about 40 bucks. Have shoot over 8000 photo, formated countless time to clear the card, and have not had any issues.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 4, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:45 PM   #10

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was wondering why I kept seeing the extreme III saying class 6. Also maybe that is why I see them on sale on certain sites. Are there other sandisk that are class 10 besides the extreme III because i thought I saw one that might have just said extreme, but class 10. But don't know if it was legit, saw it on eBay.

I only picked Sandisk because that is what eeryone tells me to get. Right now I have a Kodak camera so I use Kodak cards, but it is not a dslr.

As far as aspeed I just figured the faster the better my sports/action shots would come out.

Does a card need to be formatted each time you reuse it? Is that a function on all cameras? r is it a special process?