Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:11 AM   #1

Default CF cards for Canon A95

Hi,
I have a pretty old canon A95 camera (2005 built) and is working fine.
I need to increase the CF memory and would like to purchase new card. As per the the brochure it uses a CF Card Type I.

I need to buy some more memory (1 or 2 GBs). Now my questions are:

1. Will this Camera support Ultra II CF cards? Are "Ultra II" CF Cards of Type I?

2. What is the difference between normal Sandisk CF cards and "Ultra II"?

3. Is there any brand from Sandisk with name as "Ultra" (I mean without the "II")?

4. Will it support "Extreme III"?

Which would provide me the best valuefor money? In any case I am presently in London and planning to buy from Amazon.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Hi,
I have a pretty old canon A95 camera (2005 built) and is working fine.
I need to increase the CF memory and would like to purchase new card. As per the the brochure it uses a CF Card Type I.

1. Will this Camera support Ultra II CF cards? Are "Ultra II" CF Cards of Type I?

Yes it will

Speed cards not marked with Ultra II are slower in speed and known as standard speed cards

3. Is there any brand from Sandisk with name as "Ultra" (I mean without the "II")?

No Sandisk has standard cards unmarked with any title; Ultra II, Extreme III, Extreme IV..... also on the extremem cards their are some that are slower in terms of mega bytes per second write and read than others.... the newest cards marked extreme III are twice as fast as the older extreme IVs.

4. Will it support "Extreme III"?

Yes, basicaly what I read your camera can use at least 2GB cards so any 2GB CF card that is type I should work just fine. However with the camera eing that old you may not see any speed difference when you move up from ultra II to an extreme III on the camera side, but depending on what memory card reader you are using you may see faster download times. I always suggest you by the fast card you can afford because some day you may move up to a new camera that can take advantage of the speed.

Which would provide me the best valuefor money? In any case I am presently in London and planning to buy from Amazon.
One of the older extreme IIIs dollar by mega-byte and speed wise

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:42 AM   #3

All current CF Cards are "Type I". "Type II" cards have a thicker body, which allows the cards to contain the IBM (and later, Hitachi) MicroDrive hard disk drives. When they were intorduced, they had greater capacity that the flash cards of the day, but they turned out to be more fragile, and higher capacity flash memory cards have been introduced, so "Type II" cards have have fallen by the wayside.

SanDisk has several lines of CF cards, including the Ultra II and Extreme III, any of which should work in your A95.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:

Virtually all CompactFlash cards made anymore are Type I cards. Type II cards are thicker and won't fit into your camera. It's rare to see a Type II CompactFlash card unless it's a Microdrive (and these are not popular anymore).

Quote:
Sandisk is the manufacturer, and Ultra II is just one of the brands, with nothing to do if the card is a Type I or Type II Card (they are type I cards).

The Ultra II cards are usually rated at 66x (approx. 10MB/Second), the Extreme III Cards are usually rated at 133x (approx. 20MB/Second), although some of the newer Extreme III Cards are rated at 30MB/Second (and these will specifically say they're 30MB/Second cards). Most Extreme IV and Ducati cards are even faster (300x or 45MB/Second), and they also offer a new Extreme Pro line now (600x or 90MB/Second).

But, just because a card may be capable of those speeds in optimum conditions, doesn't mean that a camera can take advantage of those speeds. ;-)

From tests I've seen of the A95, it looks like write speed to memory cards is going to top out at around 1MB/Second, regardless of card speed. So, you'll get diminishing returns by using a faster card in one. IOW, I wouldn't spend more money to get an Extreme III versus an Ultra II for that model unless you plan on using it in another device later that could take advantage of the extra speed, or want faster transfer times to your PC using a card reader.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote