Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:44 PM   #31
Administrator

What are you getting when you type this now (are you still seeing /dev/sdc in the list)?

fdisk -l
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:47 PM   #32
Administrator

If not, remove it, wait about 10 seconds, reinsert it, and repeat this command and see if it's showing up:

su
fdisk -l

If so, then, do this:

su
cd /mnt/sda2
ddrescue /dev/sdc badcard.img badcard.log
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:49 PM   #33
Administrator

Copy and paste what you're getting if you have a network connection so I can make sure nothing else is going wrong.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:17 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by didalee View Post
HI- yes, I'm pressing enter and spacing correctly. I'll try again, maybe the card is'nt seated right. . .What about the open Windows partition window?
You can leave it open. That's no problem. The input file error you're getting indicates it's not seeing the card (/dev/sdc), or there is a typo in the command (and remember, commands are case sensitive). Remove it, reinsert, and see if it shows up:

su
fdisk -l

If so, then, see if you can copy it (note there is a space between /dev/sdc and the two filename parameters in the command). Make sure your prompt is changing with the cd command, too.

su
cd /mnt/sda2
ddrescue /dev/sdc badcard.img badcard.log

Again, if you can copy and paste everything you're getting, that would help to determine what else may be going wrong. But, the input file error indicates it's not seeing the card or there is a typo somewhere (wrong case, etc.), and if it's failing, sometimes you will need to remove and reinsert a card to get it where it shows up again, which fdisk -l will tell you.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:23 PM   #35

OK-ran the commands in what looked like a successful manner (apparently, the card was NOT seated properly during prior attempts) I saw how hundreds of image files were restored to recup_dir directory. However, I can't find that folder now that I'm back in Windows. Am I only able to view it from Linux?

Also, is the moral of this tale that SanDisk cards are bad news? Or just SDHC cards?

Thanks again- I'll be off line now for a few hours, but look forward to your reply
didalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:32 PM   #36
Administrator

It should be visible from Windows. You should find the folder created in your root directory (go to your C drive and you should see it), as long as you were in the correct folder (your prompt showed up as being in /mnt/sda2 when you ran those commands). You can also move them to somewhere else if desired using Linux if you have trouble finding them (just copy and paste that folder to somewhere you can easily find it using the same file manager you were viewing your Windows drive with under Storage Media).
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:36 PM   #37
Administrator

Did you see any errors using ddrescue? If you could copy and paste what you saw, that would tell me if the card is bad or not.

IOW, it may have been a corruption issue versus a bad card if you weren't seeing any errors when using ddrescue (and always formatting the card prior to every reuse using the camera's menu choice for format can reduce the possibility of file system corruption). But, without seeing the output from ddrescue, I don't know what you were getting using it or if the card is even bad or not. It could just be a contact problem, too (not making a good enough connection).
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:37 PM   #38

ah yes! Found it! Awesome! So, back to my question re: San Disk and SDHC. .
didalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:46 PM   #39
Administrator

Again, did you see any errors when using ddrescue?

It may not even be bad if you didn't see any read errors while it was running. It may be a corruption issue (often caused when users remove a card after deleting images from a PC without using the "Safely Remove" or "Eject" features, and if you don't use those features, you can leave unflushed writes being cached in memory causing corruption). That's why it's a good idea to always reformat a card prior to every reuse using a camera's menu choice for format (so that you always start out with a fresh file allocation table, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format).

As for Sandisk, they make more cards than anyone else. So, yes, you probably do see more issues reported with them. But, you see failures from other brands, too. But, your card may not even be bad.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:51 PM   #40
Administrator

If you didn't see any errors when ddrescue was running, then the card is probably OK.

I'd format it using this utility (you'll see a download link at the bottom of the page). But, make sure you can open your images first (full size images, not just the thumbnails, since the thumbnails are a separate image embedded inside of the main jpeg image).

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Then, make sure to reformat it using your camera's menu choice for format prior to *every* reuse. That's usually just as fast or faster than deleting images on one anyway, and always insures you start out with a fresh File Allocation Table (to reduce the chance of unnoticed corruption that could cause issues later).

If you did see errors when ddrescue was running, I wouldn't use it again.