Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:58 PM   #41
Administrator

P.S.

If it won't format, check it with testdisk under linux (but, again, make sure you can open your images before doing anything that writes to a card). Just open a terminal and type this to load it.

su
testdisk

Select the card from the list of media it finds and have it analyze the card. If everything looks OK, you'll see a menu choice that you can use on the main testdisk page to recreate a Testdisk MBR. That will write a new boot record and partition table to the card. Sometimes, Windows utilities can have issues with media if it's corrupted in that area. Then, see if it will format using that Panasonic utility (see the link in my last post). Be careful that you're selecting your card (not one of your Windows drives) when using that testdisk feature.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:31 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by didalee View Post
ah yes! Found it! Awesome! So, back to my question re: San Disk and SDHC. .
BTW, in addition to my other responses, also note that Sandisk cards are counterfeited more than other brands, too. ;-)

So, if you didn't buy it from an authorized Sandisk dealer, it could be a fake using lower quality components. But, it may not even be bad if you didn't see any errors using ddrescue (it could be a corruption issue instead).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:20 AM   #43

I was able to format it using the Panasonic utility. Thanks tons again! It was kinda fun getting geeky again. . .
didalee is offline   Reply With Quote