Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:02 PM   #11

Mark,

There was one benefit of doing this test, I now know I have 2 backup chips capable of full HD. Not just my panasonic, but my ultra II too.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:04 PM   #12
Super Moderator

That's always good. Personally when shooting video with the T1i I only use 720p, I use both the 7D and 5DmkII in 1080. I prefer the higher speed of 30fps rather than having the higher res and only 20fps.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:09 PM   #13

I still prefer using my jvc GZHD300 for video. I do not have the jellying effect like on a dslr or point and shoot. But it is handy for those surprise moment when shooting and you want to record it right away without digging out the camcorder from the bag.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:30 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I agree for general work that a dedicated video camera is best, much easier to handle then something like the SX1 is good but like you say rolling shutter is a pain in some situations. For more structured high quality work you can't beat the ability of using a 35mm sensor and some fast glass.

I'm hoping to get time to shoot some structured video as I love the possibilities.

In this video the SX1 has been used for the long shots then when it cuts to the side view I've used the 5DmkII with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8. The latter side shots are using nearer the 300mm to get nice and close and very shallow dof. If you watch them make sure you switch to HD and make them full screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l20Gs...eature=channel

This is another time when having a dSLR to shoot video comes into it's own. Very low light, using 50mm f1.8 and high ISO. A normal camera couldn't get video in these conditions. Shame I used auto white balance. The pain is having to MF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6pr...eature=channel
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:37 PM   #15

I watch them, I do see the benefit of the of the fast glass in structure works. I can see why you would be upset with the Auto WB. It would have been a very nice video if the imagine was not yellow out but more like the photos you imposed in.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:39 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Yep, that was a school boy error being the first time I've tried video for anything rather than just playing around. The photos are OK as I was using flash so the flash over powered the ambient light.

Live and learn..... I will try not to make such a mistake again, no promises.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:34 AM   #17

Well did some testing on the Sandisk II 15MB/S card. It will video in 1080P when I video outside my house in dark colors. I took it out in the Colorado backcountry to do some snowmobiling videos and I was maxing out the buffer. Video would stop recording. Must be the all the vast space and bright white colors that maxed out the card.

Went ahead and picked up an Extreme III class 10 - 30MB/S

Thanks for the replies guys!
COAVANT is offline   Reply With Quote