Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 4, 2002, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Microdrive failure - HELP!

I just got back from vacation and put my full Microdrive into my card reader and received a message saying the drive wasn't formatted. I removed it and put it back into the camera and got a CF Error message on the screen. I have over 200 shots on this card and didn't have a stitch of trouble with it on the trip. I was constantly reviewing photos, etc. When it got full, I put it into a Microtech hard case. A day later, it was dead. Does anyone know of a data recovery company that can grab data from a Microdrive? I tried several read-only file recovery programs and they all either couldn't see the drive or couldn't do anything with it. Thank you.

P.S. My compact flash cards all survived without incident.
tbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 6:40 AM   #2
NHL

Check here 1st:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1575

or here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=215

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 8:51 AM   #3

a data recovery company will charge you about what you paid for the MD just o recover the images.
1-when you put it into your camera does it make any sounds?
i1-n the reader also does it make any sounds?

if you were able to recover under normal means please post what you did in detail. i am starting a new thread on both removeable media issues and what was done to revive them. please refer to new technology forum under media issues

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I've downloaded some of the recommended software and I'll let you know if it works.

-Tom
Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:48 PM   #5

is the drive spinning in the reader? you'll hear a fine whirring. hopefully smooth sounding
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 2:49 PM   #6

Default It worked

I ran Digital Image Recovery and it pulled off 256 images before having read errors. Some of the images are corrupt but the vast majority are OK. I haven't had a chance to view the RAW files, but it pulled those off too. What didn't work was Norton and a program called Zero Assumption. Norton wouldn't even see the drive, while ZA scanned the disk for almost an hour and then gave the ever so insightful message that there appeared to be a problem with the drive. Thank you all so much for your help and pointing me to the software!!!