Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:51 PM   #11

It's looking more and more like a digital wallet is the way to go. Thanks, everyone.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 3:05 PM   #12

Just ran across this thread...

So the digital wallet (that Photo Bank from the link) - you just plop your CF card into it and it sucks all the photos off...then when you get home you can transfer the data to your PC?

What a cool idea! Might have to get one of those as the CF card I carry (only 256MB with a Canon Digital Rebel) seems to get filled rather quickly.

-Andy
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 3:37 PM   #13

Are there any other "digital wallets" out there besides that Buslink one that was linked? I've been searching for a bit but can't seem to find any others.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:19 PM   #14

the buslink is the best priced one that i have found...20GB of storage for $186...you can also do some home grown ones from what i understand, basically you get a holder and put your own hard drive in it...try searchin ebay for that...However, i think the battery time would be better on the buslink because it uses a laptop harddrive which is not going to consume as much power...

here is a link to another one, this is by Delkin but is very pricy...the only advantage that it has is that you can actually view the pictures on it, again though this is going to consume power...

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_21721.htm

they have 20, 40, and 60GB starting at $499...pretty hefty compared to 20GB for $186 from the buslink...FYI, you can replace the hard drive that comes with it with any 2.5" hard drive upto 100GB...

the Memory Card directly to cd-rom is also very pricey and the battery only lasts for an hour...i found one for $279...but 60 minutes is nothing especially if your out on a cold day

right now i just use my laptop, however i feel the risks are the same but i have never lost a picture because of corruption...

hope this helps :shock:
craig2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:36 PM   #15

Where did you find that $186 price for the Buslink (PB270)? I used pricegrabber.com and the lowest I could find was $221 through a place called Provantage.

-Andy
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latka
Where did you find that $186 price for the Buslink (PB270)? I used pricegrabber.com and the lowest I could find was $221 through a place called Provantage.

-Andy
(original link was to Yahoo stores) apparently the price has gone back up...i cant find it either...just check each day, i got my rebel this week for $929 for the kit looking each day...let me know what you find
craig2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:47 PM   #17

That seems to be the key for a lot of digital stuff - just keep snoopin around till you find a really good price.

I got lucky with my DRebel. Out here nobody wanted to sell it for less than $999... managed to call one more store and they were having a 10% off Canon sale.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:21 PM   #18

I bought a X's Drive from Computer Geeks
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VP-2060

for $89.99 w/o a hard drive,
I installed a hard drive I had laying around
(I had a old 2.5" 12gb notebook drive)

or you can buy a 20gb drive for less than 100 bucks, so for the price of a 1gb CF card you can have 20 times the storage

takes about 20 min to upload a 1gb CF card to X's drive, shuts off when done.

works great, USB 2.0, reads all memory cards, MS, SM and CF

The X's Drive puts each card in its own folder, than you can transfer all data to your computer when you get home.
TwoBuells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:58 PM   #19

Even though I'm a tinkerer I'd probably get the BusLink model. When I compared it to the cost of the X drive plus the (local) cost of the 20GB drive... I can get the full built one for like $40 more.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:08 AM   #20

I have used the Archos Multimedia portable hard drive for my past season of horse show shooting. My experience was that it was slow to download and upload and the screen was pretty much useless for displaying the images. I recently bought a laptop with a PCMCIA to Compact flash adapter to use for the next season. With the laptop I will be able to edit the images while onsite and show them to customers as well.
The Archos did its job, but I always had that question in the back of my head as to whether the images were really saved or not. :?
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote