Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 23, 2003, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Is it possible to use a USB hard drive to download pics?

I'm looking to kit out a bag for some journalism work. I'll be shooting a lot over whole days, and I need to be able to download pics in the middle of the day when I won't have access to a computer.

My two options are either a digital wallet-type device, which seems a bit risky, or a USB hard drive, which I'm not sure is even really an option.

The USB hard drive is sometimes called a keychain drive because it's small enough to fit on a keyring. It connects via a full-size male USB connector.

Now that you've read my intro, here's the question. Is there any way to use a USB hard drive to download pics from my camera, or are there any USB hard drives configured to do this specifically? Alternately, should I just suck it up and get a digital wallet?
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:22 PM   #2

no, you will need a OS to act as go between which of course means a laptop of some form. firewire was supposed to allow this sort of transaction but i never came to fruition. i've been trying to develope a workaround no luck so far/
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 4:45 PM   #3

Now that I look back on the question, the largest flash drive available is 2 gigs...they'd have to be at least ten times larger to be a good idea.

Wonder if anyone uses RAMdisks instead of memory cards...it'd almost certainly have to be a one-off solution as I've never seen anything relating to it.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:37 PM   #4

actually there is a rather pricey answer.
1- compac ppc
2- 1 compac ppc add on pcmcia adapter sleeve
3- 1 pcmcia HD your choice of size vs price
4- your choice of CF cards

this allows the transfer of cf cards to the pcmcia HD.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:35 PM   #5

Vosonic makes the Xdrive which uses a laptop hard drive. You can insert your media card and transfer the files to Xdrive. You then can transfer the pics to your computer at your convenience. The Xdrive has a rechargeable battery that allows you the freedom of being near electricty. Steve has review the drive check the accessories page.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:14 PM   #6

I'm familiar with digital wallets.

Wonder if anyone could rig a gimcrack way to use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to transfer pics wirelessly to a digital wallet. That would be incredible.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:20 AM   #7

the darn things are slow enough. why would you want to increase battery consumption and slow it down even further?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:29 PM   #8

Why would a digital wallet be "risky"? It's no more risky than a laptop...in fact, since the firmware in the DW is only designed to do the one thing (transfer pictures), it should be much more reliable than a laptop.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:16 PM   #9
NHL

Quote:
Wonder if anyone could rig a gimcrack way to use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to transfer pics wirelessly to a digital wallet. That would be incredible.
This shouldn't be far in coming with USB OTG such as the PictBridge's upgrade in Canon's camera for example or the wireless USB initiative...

... The storage client is there, it's just a matter of enabling it or come up with the right application. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:26 PM   #10

i am trying to find a better solution myself right now, lugging my laptop around gets old...take a look at this....

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digitall...ue/837913.html

$186 at amazon
craig2o is offline   Reply With Quote