Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:43 AM   #1
mrb

Default Downloading Large AVI files from Canon SD card

I have recently used my Canon S2IS to take video at the highest resolution. The AVI files are huge!

When copying the files from the camera to PC with USB cord, it took a while but it appeared to copy everything. However, the largest AVI files did not copy over...the copy process got done and 3 of the AVI file sizes were 0 k. The largest file that successfully copied was 421 MB and was a 3.5 minute video.

Is there a limit on file size that can be transferred from the camera?

I am going to try to put the SD card in my HP AIO printer card reader and see if it will copy from there.

Thanks for any tips!
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Administrator

If I had to guess (speculation on my part), it's probably either a limitation with the transfer protocol (as some Canon models are not USB Mass Storage Compliant and use PTP instead), perhaps running out of memory during the transfer process.

Or, perhaps it's the way your operating system is handling it when it sees you remove the camera if all writes from memory haven't been flushed to disk yet (resulting in a 0 byte file size). Using the "Safely remove" icon in your system tray (assuming it's using one) may help to prevent that kind of problem.

I'd try a card reader. But, it's been my experience that the readers built into HP Printers are not the best (as there seems to be some type of software layer in between the reader and PC operating system). Let us know if that works or not.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3
mrb

JimC - Thanks for the tips.

UPDATE: The HP AIO card reader worked. The file sizes were 367, 510, and 751 MB, the largest being a 6+ minute video.

Interestingly, the 367 MB file would not copy from a SanDisk 2 GB Ultra II SD card, but a 421 MB file copied with no problem from a standard PNY 1 GB SD card.

I typically do not use the camera for video, so never encountered this problem before.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Administrator

Interesting. Thanks for the update. I normally use a card reader for transferring images from my cameras (and have for years with images from a variety of camera models). That does make it easier compared to worrying about transfer protocol "quirks" when a camera isn't USB Mass Storage compliant. Card readers are very inexpensive anymore.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote