Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Rank my Free CF Memory* help

I bought a never used Rebel XT, and the person also gave me some CF memory cards, could you rank them, or tell me which is best to use,
sandisk ultra II - 1gb
sandisk extreme III 1gb
Lexar professional 1gb
sandisk ultra II-2gb
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:00 PM   #2
Administrator

There's nothing wrong with any of them. Those are popular cards from the two most respected manufacturers of flash memory cards.

Just format them using your camera's memory choice format prior to using them each time.. I do that every time I reuse a memory card, no exceptions. That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table) just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format (reducing the chance of unnoticed file system corruption issues).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:04 PM   #3

Can I ask a general question, all my p&S cameras have secure digital cards, why do the DSLR's use Compact Flash?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:11 PM   #4
Super Moderator

those are all good cards, i have used and been happy with all of them. as jimc mentioned, formatting them incamera is the best way to ensure a good file structure.

dslrs have traditionally used compact flash cards because they used to be of larger capacity. not quite the case anymore, as sdhc and scxhc are more than large enough. hence you see some newer dslrs using sd now.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Not all dSLR models use CompactFlash. A number of newer dSLR models use Secure Digital instead (which is smaller with lower power requirements). In a larger dSLR model, you don't have as much worry about space and power requirements. As a result, it's easier to make larger and faster cards at a lower manufacturing cost.

For example, some dSLR models can use extremely fast 600x (90MB/Second) UDMA Mode 6 capable cards that no Secure Digital cards can match yet. Note that your XT does not fall into that category (as it's not capable of writing to cards that fast, as your camera would be the "bottleneck").

But, some dSLR models can take advantage of those types of speeds with newer CompactFlash card designs, and they have enough space and power so that the benefits of using larger CF cards outweigh the benefits of a smaller Secure Digital size card.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:13 PM   #6

Ok, thanks. Going to go format them. thanks again