Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:57 PM   #11

Thanks for that Jim...I got the suggestion of 2 cards....from some forum, what was the name oof it ...hmmm...Stevie some-thing-or -other

It still makes sense to me to have more then one in any case. I was told to reformat each time as well.

Now I got the scan disk Ultra 4 G on sale 14.95 each cdn. Yesterday the same store had the Ultras II on sale 8g for $30..(same price but ultra II). So I march in (sarah would be proud)..and yet they will exchange. But the ones on sale weren't ultra IIs...the package just said Ultra but the flyer said Ultra II's

The manager was called and he said that Ultra has packed some cards as 'Ultra' and some as Ultra II's...so we looked at an Ultra II 2 g card and its speed was up to 15 mb/s...and when we looked at the Ultra..the speed was the same and both were class 4.

I am going to explore this further ..but it was a strange one.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:15 AM   #12

I would get the 8gb ultra or ultra II. They are really fast class 4 card if you get a good deal on them.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:21 AM   #13
Administrator

The speed you see from some of the Ultra II cards is going to depend on when they were made. I'd probably lean towards a newer Class 10 card for your camera, as inexpensive as some of them are now. But, the Ultra II cards should work fine it, and they should be fast enough for video.

Here are some test results for various cards in an EOS-450D. Rob hasn't updated them in a while and the EOS-500D wasn't tested. But, you should be able to get an idea of how some of the cards are going to stack up against each other with it. You'll see some of the Ultra II cards further down on the page (slower cards are towards the bottom of the list):

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9424
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:30 AM   #14

Thanks shoturtle..... I looked into a delkin card a class (6) 8GB card was around $50 USD + shippng. I ordered the card I started the post with...... the Patriot LX 8GB class(10) with delivery $42 Canadian a little less than what class (6) cards are selling for at local big box stores so I'll keep you all posted on performance
YANOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:43 AM   #15

Oh and btw..... Great site for speed comparisons JimC. I searched for one and didn't find anything. Have now bookmarked this site.
YANOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:52 AM   #16

Wow that is allot for a delkin 8gb, I guess I got a great deal on my 16gb.

But you got a class 10, it is way faster, and it should work great. Fast is better is memory especially at that price.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:15 PM   #17

I just picked up an 8 g Ultra..$30

so now I have 2 -4's and 1-8...total price $60

Thought i better get another one before the trip LOL
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:21 PM   #18

If you are only shooting jpeg high format, you have a ton of memory, if you do jpeg and raw, it may be close if you go crazy shooting for 2 weeks. I almost fill a 16gb in 2 weeks of shooting in high res. jpeg. And that was when I just got the camera and did allot of testing.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you are only shooting jpeg high format, you have a ton of memory, if you do jpeg and raw, it may be close if you go crazy shooting for 2 weeks. I almost fill a 16gb in 2 weeks of shooting in high res. jpeg. And that was when I just got the camera and did allot of testing.

LOL...I hope I don't go crazy...but at least i have the opportunity.

I went on a horsetrip once, It was the Kamloops cattle drive, a week long trip. I took a few pix.. it was film BTW, and I probably shot a few rolls...but i did end up with the nick name..."kenny Kodak"..
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:33 PM   #20

Well with 16gb of memory in high res jpeg, you will be able to shoot about 2500 photo, in jpeg/raw, you will only get about 550 photos. So if you do plan on jpeg/raw, get another card, 16gb would be good so you can get about 1100 photos of your trip.