Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Hello From Canada

Hello
Still a little new to this with a new Canon T1i DSLR. I have found no real problems shooting pictures in jpg format with the SDHC card that I have but, it lags a little with RAW and HD video. I spent the extra money on this to be able to shoot 1080p video so I am looking at investing in a new memory card. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am currently thinking of this card here... http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820220450
I am however open to what others use first hand.

Thanks
YANOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2

I don't know about the card..but its been suggested to look at having 2 cards...usually in the 4G range. Cards do have a habit of locking up...its better to lose 4 gb of pic than 8 gb..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i am not really that familiar with that card, but it seems to be a good price for an 8gb class 10 sdhc.

having 2 cards can be nice, but i have found cards to be quite resilient and have not had many issues.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I've never personally used a Patriot brand card. But, from what I can see of it's user reviews at newegg.com, it seems to work fine in your camera model, and it's a Class 10 card (meaning that it's speed should be adequate for most modern digital cameras).

If you want an even faster card, I'd look at something like a newer Sandisk Extreme III (getting one that's specifically marked as being a 30MB/Second card, as some of the older ones were not that fast). But, frankly, you'll tend to see diminishing returns going to a faster card in most cameras like yours. IOW, you may buy a card that's twice as fast and see very little difference in performance (because the camera tends to be the bottleneck once you get to a certain speed card).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks.
I have read and experienced about lock ups. Thinking of this card purely for video. I am looking at a 4GB class (6) card for photos as well to go with the two 2GB cards both class (2) that I have. I find I'm very diligent about dumping my cards to computer regularly sometimes without even previewing them....... good habit I find just in case.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
I don't know about the card..but its been suggested to look at having 2 cards...usually in the 4G range. Cards do have a habit of locking up...its better to lose 4 gb of pic than 8 gb..
I keep a 16GB card in my camera. :-)

I've used a Transcend 16GB CompactFlash card most of the time since November 2007 with no issues at all, and the same card has been used in multiple dSLR models, taking many thousands of photos. I do keep spares with me. But, I never need to use them.

From my perspective, you're more likely to damage a card or camera if you need to swap it when "in the field" if it runs out of space (not to mention the potential to miss photo opportunities while swapping cards).

Now, I do reformat my cards prior to every reuse, using the camera's menu choice for format. That insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format, reducing the chance of unnoticed file system corruption issues.

I've used that technique for years without issues.

I've still got smaller 16MB (not 16GB) cards. With each newer generation of cards (and they've been getting larger and larger over the years), I've seen the same worries (don't put all of your eggs in one basket, etc.). You can buy 64GB cards now (and even larger cards have already been announced). ;-)
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:28 PM   #7

JimC
Thanks but, I may be able to get 3 or 4 of these cards for the price of an 8GB Scandisk III..... LoL. My wife is already mad at how much I've spent.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:31 PM   #8

Good advice JimC on the camera format of the card. I found that to be best method as well even after a transfer to computer to always use the camera and a low level format if it's an option ( not on all cameras )
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Administrator

I wouldn't spend a lot of money for anything faster than that one. Chances are, you'd see little if any performance gain by using one any faster than that anyway in your camera model (again, you'll tend to get diminishing returns with most camera models going with the "latest and greatest" cards, since the camera usually becomes the bottleneck once you reach a certain point). There are exceptions. But, it looks like users with your camera model indicate it works fine from what I can see of user reviews of that card at newegg.com
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:25 PM   #10

delkin 16gb class 6 efilm card, 40 buck. Works great in my T1i, and no issues with 1080p or burst mode. I have also tested the sandisk 8gb Ultra II class 4 with the T1i in video 1080p for a 12 min clip at night. And it had not problems, which surprise me. But sandisk's Ultra is a really fast class 4 chip.

A 12 min 1080 HD will eat up a 4gb chip. 8gb is good, but if you shoot allot of video the 16gb would be better.