Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:29 AM   #1

Default Best SDHC Card(s) for Panasonic FZ38 Video

Hi everyone

I'm looking to get honest end-user opinions on which SDHC cards are best for the FZ38 (FZ35 in USA).

I believe Panasonic recommend "class 6" SDHC cards for the FZ38, but they also state a minimum read/write speed of 10Mb/s* not all cards are created equal, and AFAIK class 6 designation only guarantees 6Mb/s, so some so called 'hi speed' cards presumably won't cut the mustard......

Is it was worth going for a Panasonic Class 10 card, or should I look at one of the other leading brands?

Appreciate some input, experiences and opinions please!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:59 AM   #2

Well panasonic is a high end brand actually. And I have one of the class 6 8gb cards, and it work great when I shoot in burst or HD video.

Do no knot to much about the Afaik card.

But all class 6 cards give you a min of 12m/ms of read/write. That is the stardard of the class 6, 6 read 6 write making 12mb/s

I have used a sandisk ultra II class 4 with a stated 15mb/s, class 4 guarantees 4 up and 4 down and 8mb/s total. So I know the sandisk ultra is a very fast class 4 card, I am pretty sure it has a higher read speed then write. I have used it to take a 12min hd video in 1080p and had no issue, and it is good for burst shots on my T1i/500D for about 4 second before a bit of a buffer lag. But I think the canon has a big buffer.

I also use a delkin efilm 16gb class 6 card which I pick up for around 40 dollars. And I have hand no issues what so ever. It is as good as my panasonic card.

You don't need to get a high price card, if you get a reputable brand like kingston, delkin, lexar, and transcend. They are as good as sandisk and panasonic. That is just my opinion. And a class 6 should do fine for your camera. Also I just got a free hama class 6 card. And it works fine in my camera, needed to cash in some mile that were about to expire.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:08 AM   #3

Thanks shoturtle –*very useful.

I was concerned that Panasonic state a minimum write speed of 10Mb/s which is greater than standard 'class 6' spec.... good to know Sandisk Ultra II (class 4) performs well, as does the delkin.

I planned to get a couple of cards, so it might be a good idea to get one high-end, and one budget and see how things go? I have still to order the FZ38, and may wait a week or so more, just in case there are any extra-interesting PMA announcements.......

[Sorry for any confusion in my first post – AFAIK = "As far as I know", and not a brand over here in the UK]
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:51 AM   #4

Just one bit of advice, do not buy any memory card on ebay unless you trust the seller, there are allot for hack and fake cards sold there.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5

Appreciate the advice! It's one thing I would be wary of on eBay for sure.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:48 PM   #6

This thread would make a good Sticky.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote