Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:57 PM   #1

Default read/write speed for d5000

ok so im attending the CIAS on the 11th of feb, and i currently have the d5000 and a duracell 8GB class 6 memory card, i want to buy a back up memory card just incase cause i know i wil be taking LOTS of pictures. but i dont know my camera's read and write speed. i went to nikon's site to find it, no luck.. if anyone knows, can you enlighten me, so i can start looking for a bargain on memory cards
k-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:59 PM   #2

First, there's no such thing as "too fast". If you want to get a faster card, your D5000 will handle it.

Second, while there is such a thing as "too slow", if you aren't shooting video or shooting a sequence of multiple still images in rapid succession (using Continuous shooting mode at 4 frames per second), then you probably won't bump into it. If you are, then get another Class 6 card.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:51 AM   #3

ok so i decided im going with a class 6 card. there is a class 10 A-data 16gb card, for the same price as a class 6 16GB but it has really bad review, and i think the speed of the class 10 is no better then the class 6 anyway. that brought a nother dilemma. i read how some cards doesnt have the speed that they claim. that means im gonna have to look at all the benchmark tests for each and every card before i decide on.
-_-
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:33 PM   #4

Well, if a manufacturer advertises their card as Class 6, chances are that it'll do a minimum write speed of at least 6MB/s. Benchmark tests only test the maximum read ad write speeds. If you want to capture video or sustained continuous shooting, a benchmark test of maximum speed won't help you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-man View Post
ok so i decided im going with a class 6 card. there is a class 10 A-data 16gb card, for the same price as a class 6 16GB but it has really bad review, and i think the speed of the class 10 is no better then the class 6 anyway. that brought a nother dilemma. i read how some cards doesnt have the speed that they claim. that means im gonna have to look at all the benchmark tests for each and every card before i decide on.
-_-
I have a class 6 Fujifilm 16gb SDHC card and have never had any issues with video or shooting 8 shot bursts with my d5000. I also have some older sandisk extreme 3 cards and standard cards that I've had no issues with either. I've never been limited by write speed of any card I've ever used even with my D300 and long 12-15 shot bursts. I wouldn't spend a lot of time chasing down benchmark tests..just buy a reputable card brand in the middle range (not the cheapest or most expensive), and you should be fine.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:48 PM   #6

Get a good brand and you will be fine, no need to be overly concern about bench testing. If you want a class 10 because you want to treat yourself, then get a class 10 card. Kingston, Delkin, fuji, sandisk, laxar, panasonic, transend and you should be fine. I use a 16gb class 6 delkin which is about 40 dollars, and a 8 gb class 6 panasonic as a back up. Never had issues on a T1i with 1080 HD or burst.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Get a good brand and you will be fine, no need to be overly concern about bench testing. If you want a class 10 because you want to treat yourself, then get a class 10 card. Kingston, Delkin, fuji, sandisk, laxar, panasonic, transend and you should be fine. I use a 16gb class 6 delkin which is about 40 dollars, and a 8 gb class 6 panasonic as a back up. Never had issues on a T1i with 1080 HD or burst.

16 gb delkin..40 doollars seriously.. where?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:43 AM   #8

adorama, think it is 43 to be exact.

http://www.adorama.com/ICDDSDP216G.h...fo=delkin+16gb

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 1, 2010 at 1:20 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
adorama, think it is 43 to be exact.

http://www.adorama.com/ICDDSDP216G.h...fo=delkin+16gb

Thanks for the link
photograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:11 PM   #10

You are welcome