Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 4, 2002, 4:31 PM   #11

On olympus series cameras, the LCD panel does not power up while the usb cable is attached. I have a reader and use both methods of transferring files. I would think that the biggest danger in handling the memory is static electricity. My computer room does not have carpet because static electricy can be very harmful to computer components. Bill has a good point about the mechanical items wearing out from handling the memory. Finger prints can be deadly to the memory cards. Finger prints on the metalic portion of the memory card can be very harmful. Knowing all of this, I still like to use the card reader.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 3:30 PM   #12

Default Do I really need a SM card reader or AC adapter?

To answer my own question posted earlier in this thread, I now understand that after image editing, the file no longer contains the original exif data. Therefore, it can't be uploaded using the card reader and recognized by the camera as an image.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
On memory failure, I learned the hard way when I MOVED some pics off a card rather than COPY. If the usb link screws up, you get transferred garbage and no source files left on the card to repeat the transfer.
I did not see this b4, I must be on a trip ...
In case like that, you could use utilities like "Digital Image Recovery" (free) to recuperate the original pics on the cards. those utilities works like "Norton unerase". Even if you delete or use "move" option, all data's still there, and 100% recuperable, unless you shoot after and overwrirte the card, or made a "wipe info".
I did not have the need to really recuperate lost pics, but I did try the software, and it works perfectly, it can be kept on a 1.44 floppy. I even recuperate pics on a binary CD file , saved from a PC crash.
The link should be in Steve software section.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 3:57 AM   #14

Kcan - thanks for the tip. jmcdev1... Exif data isn't always lost if your using the more recent editors (which you should). Exif is kept after edits and re-saves. Although from some earlier experiments, changing the file structure does stop the cam from previewing images.

I hadn't connected with lack of Exif being a reason why uploaded files might not be pre-viewable by the cam.

I know you have to stick to 8 char. filenames and use exactly the same file format and directory as tha cam. At the time, I was interested in putting pics back on the card to show on TV out away from home.

Just a thought, but can't these photo stores read CD's and cards in their own readers, surely as long as the file is on the card, verified by the pc, then it doesn't matter if the cam can't display it?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:45 AM   #15

Thanks for the input, Voxmagna. I was simply parroting this thread from the imaging resources forums: http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]@.ee8eca7/0 I'd really like to know if this does or doesn't work, if anyone has experience with trying it.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 7:39 PM   #16

What Digital Camera mag. Nov. issue, has a letter to the editor in which a reader insists that he uploads images he has edited in PSP or Paint Shop Pro back to his camera every week and shows them on TV with only an occasional failure. He was responding to a statement in the previous issue that also said it couldn't be done. What a confusing issue!