Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:07 AM   #1

Default Do I really need a SM cardreader or AC adapter??

If I understand correctly, both the SM reader and the AC adapter have only one function: to save batery power when transferring images from camera to computer. As such, it seems to me that neither is really necessary, not to mention having BOTH.
Besides, if I transfer images from a 128MB SM card (directly from the camera), how much battery power does it take? Is it worth the extra bucks?
I have an Olympus 700UZ .
Thank-you

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by DeeBlonde]
DeeBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 5:13 AM   #2
NHL

Check over here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1480

You are right, it's not absolutely required, but if you're wondering about the battery duration, then I think you also know why...

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 8:11 PM   #3

Default My $.02

I would recommend the card reader. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to buy an AC adapter is if you are using your c-700 in a tethered, indoor setting. If you're looking to save battery power during downloads, a card reader is a far better bet. Besides, you can probably get a card reader for less$. The newest Sandisk combo readers are inexpensive, and take both CF and SM cards.
timefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 2:44 PM   #4

I also agree, my camera power unit has stayed in its box.

The only benefit of having a cam power unit to save batt power, is formatting cards and if you want to show pics on your TV.

I also use it when I'm learning to use new features, or doing some indoor work, like test shots.

It's sometimes nice to keep the lcd alight and not worry.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 10:48 PM   #5

One of the problems with using a card reader is handling the memory - handling is the major source of memory problems. An AC adapter is a good idea so you don't have a battery failure while downloading. An AC adapter is also usefull for pictures of this kind:

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 1:16 PM   #6

BillD.. you make a good point about handling the cards.

On balance I wonder which is worst, wearing out/damaging the cams internal card contacts (although removing the card will keep them clean) or connect to the cam and leave it powered for long periods when it will get warmer than normal as downloads are thirsty.

I doubt if the standby circuits will activate when in download mode on external supply.

It's probably down to preference and also how much trust you put in the psu switcher not to go faulty!
Old Oct 7, 2002, 2:58 PM   #7

It does come down to personal preferences and how the specific camera works. My camera (Casio 3000) seems to shut down some stuff when connected to the USB, i.e, the LCD stays off and it does not extend the lens. It does not seem to get warm while downloading a nearly full Gig microdrive even though that takes about an hour. An hour of intensive shooting (a few hundred pictures) will warm the camera.

There are good reasons to use a card reader, and memory failure is rare either way. Less rare if you use a card reader, but still very uncommon.

My primary point was that there isn't a single, clear-cut answer that applies to all people, cameras, and memory types.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 5:45 PM   #8

BillD... On my S602 the lcd comes on the moment I plug in a usb cable and I can't turn it off. I found a power consumption chart somewhere and downloading needed the most power of all modes - so that supports your point. Cams can work differently.

On memory failure, I learned the hard way when I MOVED some pics off a card rather than COPY. If the usb link screws up, you get transferred garbage and no source files left on the card to repeat the transfer.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 12:40 AM   #9

I use both methods, but card reader most of the time, for one reason......speed!
It's, also, just a hassle to hook up the USB cable, when I can pop the card out of the camera and into the reader in a few seconds, no transfer settings, etc.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2002, 3:25 PM   #10

Default Do I really need a SM card reader or AC adapter?

I have always used USB cable to download files to laptop with an ac adapter. Recently, I'm considering getting a card reader with the coming of photo kiosks. Wouldn't it make sense to use the card reader to upload image files back to the memory card after editing in photoshop and printing them yourself at a kiosk? Or will it be possible to burn a cd and have the kiosk print them out?
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote