Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:31 PM   #1

Default transfer pics to computer - card reader or camera?

Hi all I was wondering is it better to transfer pics via the camera connected to computer or with a card reader... my thoughts were a card reader.... but I was reading the manual to the camera - and they warn to use the camera for transfer and data loss and corruption can occur if you use a card reader.. they are not responsible for data loss... blah blah blah
Is it true that using the camera is better? I figured card reader better - no battery drain and it can be permanently connected...
Your thoughts....
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

they have to put that line in the manual, so people don't call and complain to them if their card reader is not working.

but, i almost always use a card reader, its just easier for me.

just be sure to use the "format" everytime you delete your card and not the "delete pictures" as the format will give you a new file structure to work from, which reduces errors.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:03 PM   #3

I use the card reader on my mac for transferring photo also. Also when I am traveling super light, I keep a small card reader with me that I got form ebay. So that I can just upload photos to the net without having to install drivers on the hotel computers. It keeps thing easier.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:14 PM   #4

There is the argument that, if you only have one card, leaving that card inserted in the camera decreases the potential for damage to the camera's card slot and the card, but repeatedly connecting the USB cable will increase the potential for damage to the camera's USB port.

On the other hand, if you have multiple cards and routinely swap them, then using a card reader to transfer your photos to a computer decreases the potential for damage to the camera's card slot.

In addition, using the camera to transfer photos means that you should use an AC adapter or freshly charged batteries for the transfer to complete successfully. Otherwise, the photos could be currupted.

(I use a reader.)

Last edited by TCav; Feb 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:15 PM   #5

card reader hands down. less errors, less loss of pictures, less battery drain (well none to be exact) and if you need to data recovery a card reader is the only game in town.

Abd.. like Hards80 said always reformat the card after each download

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:44 PM   #6

ok thanks for the confirmation guys - that's what I thought
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:24 AM   #7

I love the card readers until I got my current Panasonic ZS3. In order to transfer any HD video, I HAVE to use the camera with the software they provide since it's not a simple one file to transfer anymore. There may be a solution around this but I haven't researched it enough yet.
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:25 PM   #8

I have used a card reader for a year now, I never format the card, I just cut+paste all the files to my computer.
One year and 100GB of transferred data, no errors.
Perhaps it's time to start formatting the card before something happens.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
I have used a card reader for a year now, I never format the card, I just cut+paste all the files to my computer.
I second that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
LOL! Yes indeed you are looking for trouble. A number of times photographers have come to me with their corrupted cards. The camera "computer" is not that bright, and after long term use, will try to write a file into an opening in the card that is not large enough for the file.

While I personally don't format my card after every use, I do format it quite often - And if you are one of those who deletes files from the camera while using it, this aggravates the situation.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote