Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:18 PM   #11
uny

Sounds like ddrescue is the magic ointment that can cure my SD-card blues... And much more. Better than ShamWow and can hold 10X its weigth in digital data (...smile) !

Pretty neat you can run it from a CD (I only have DVD on hand, can I write/burn it to DVD)?

If this thing works well (even if I can't recover SD-card), I'll have to do like you and "image" my Windows PC. Even if many PCs now have a 'recovery' partition (HP does), running it probably wipes everything out - including your data. Sounds like ddrescue could take care of this type of problem.

Just one Q?: if you're using ddrescue to create an image of your Windows PC and your disk is 300Gb, where (what device) do you 'image' this ?

I guess you can only go to another large disk (equal or bigger than 300Gb). You can't image to DVD or any other optical medium. Unless ddrescue images only "used" blocks or "partial blocks", in which case the image could be much smaller than original partition.

I will download it and try what you said. I'll come back and post details here.

Thanks again, A.
uny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:00 PM   #12
uny

An update: I downloaded SimplyMEPIS 8.015, burned a CD (actually a DVD) with Sonic RecordNow (came with PC). I then booted off the DVD. It came up with Linux screen GUI.

At this point, I logged in demo/demo, but was not able to run commands (I tried opening a shell, but my linux knowledge is not like yours...). So I logged out, and went back in with character mode (I forgot what I choose on the menu, but it was all character prompt on a black screen).

Then I typed the su and fdisk -l commands. fdisk showed all my Windows partitions: I have 8-9 logical disks/partitions on my single hard disk (all FAT or NTFS).

But it gave me some errors when it tried to display the sdb (which I'm guessing is my SD card). Here is what it gave me:
Info fld = 0x0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0 logical block 0

It repeated same errors for logical block 1, 2, 3. Then gave a few more errors, and a similar error with "sector 4294967288".

At this point I was not sure if I should have continued, tried to run ddrescue or not. Actually, I did not know what to put in the ddrescue command options:
eg. ddrescue /dev/partition_of_SDcard sdimage_file log_file
and since I was not certain what partition_of_SDcard was, I simply exited.

Let me know what I should type? And when you create sdimage_file & log_file, where will it write it by default? On which disk partition? I'm guessing linux is smart enough to see that there are some Windows partitions on the disk. And will not overwrite anything. But better be safe than sorry, so I'd rather ask.

Thanks again for your help.
A.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:31 PM   #13
uny

More news: I rebooted again and tried another time. Going in via Linux desktop this time. Under Storage media I did see my 8-partitions, but nothing with SD-card (no sdb).

I opened a 'shell' and typed su, fdisk -l and saw the same 8-paritions (sda1, sda2...sda8) but nothing else (no SDcard).

I pulled the SDcard out, it was quite warm/hot. I saw your comment about whether it may work better cold or hot. I waited 10-15 min, it felt cold to the touch. Re-inserted it. Same results.

Not sure if this is bad news or if I missed something....

Maybe I'll try it on another PC tomorrow just to see if results are different.

By the way, I have no internet access on this PC (due to wireless: I typed iwconfig and no wireless was present). You may not need to see more, but if you want me to post my results at same time while I'm trying things out, I will have to do it from another network hardwired PC.

Thanks again, A.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:36 AM   #14
Administrator

That you were getting errors probably means it saw something. But, it may not necessarily show up as sdb. Sometimes, you'll see other drive designations assigned.

See if you can get to a PC with a network connection. Then, boot into it and login to the GUI as demo (password demo). After that, click on the Home icon in your taskbar (I think it's the third one over from the left at the bottom), and that will open Konqueror (a file manager). Click on the services icon (yellow star on the left hand side) and that will show you some more choices, included "Storage Media". Under Storage Media, find one of your Windows partitions (sda1, etc.) and click on it and make sure you can browse it's files. That will automount a partition (since you'll need a mounted partition to store the image file on).

Then, open a Konsole (a terminal program that you'll find one under the system menu labeled something like Terminal-Konsole) type these commands and let me know what you see with the card inserted, entering root as the password when prompted for it. Note that the card reader will need to specifically support SDHC cards if that's what it is (SDHC support is a function of the reader, not the operating system).

su
fdisk-l
mount
lsusb
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:55 AM   #15
Administrator

BTW, I'm curious where you got that "/dev/partition_of_SDcard" parameter you were trying to use that was giving you those errors. Did you see something like that using fdisk -l? Sometimes, you will see cards show up with odd descriptors like that (my wife's laptop uses something similar when I use her built in reader). Anyway, let me know what you see with the commands in my last post and we'll go from there (that will let me know how your drives are being seen, as well as how your reader is being seen, assuming it's a usb device).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:34 AM   #16
uny

Hi Jim, I see you're up bright and early!

Yesterday, I did exactly as you say (click yellow star, go into "Storage media", where I see all my paritions and also the SimplyMepis CD). I'm now on another PC, redid same procedure and seems like exactly same thing as yesterday. No sdb seems to be showing up (only sda1 to sda8).

I opened a 'shell' session (not sure if this is same as the terminal console you mention) and typed your commands. I did a cut-and-paste, here is what I got:

mepis1:/home/demo# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 32301 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x1549f232

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 1111 8399128+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2 * 1112 6529 40960080 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 6530 32301 194836320 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 6530 11947 40960048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 11948 15334 25605688+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 15335 19398 30723808+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8 19399 24816 40960048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda9 24817 32301 56586568+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

mepis1:/home/demo# mount

tmpfs on /linux/lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/hdb on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
/dev/loop0 on /linux type squashfs (ro)
/ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=819824k,nr_inodes=128097,mode=755)
/ramdisk on /home type tmpfs (rw,size=819824k,nr_inodes=128097,mode=755)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/sda6 type fuseblk (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permis sions,blksize=4096,user=demo)
mepis1:/home/demo#

mepis1:/home/demo# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
mepis1:/home/demo#

Let me know what you think.

PS: I'm doing all this from Linux Mepis via firefox.

Thanks again, A
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:59 AM   #17
Administrator

What kind of card is it?

That particular Alcor Reader (showing up as ID 058f:9360) does *not* support SDHC cards.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:01 AM   #18
Administrator

Hmmm. It looks like you have a 512MB card from what I can see of previous posts.

So, it should support it. But, have you got another reader you can try? I see lots of problems reported with that particular Alcor reader not working properly when I google for it's ID (not working properly with some operating systems and linux kernel versions, even though it works with others). From some of their press releases, they' promoting some kind of "speed up" engine with some of their readers (so that could be causing a problem with an added layer, insulating the inserted card from the operating system).

So, I'd find another reader to try with your card as a first step.

You may even want to see if your camera can act as a reader with it first (see if it shows up using fdisk -l).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:25 AM   #19
uny

Sorry, forgot to reply to a few earlier Q?:
1) I used this command just to show the format & parameters:
ddrescue /dev/partition_of_SDcard sdimage_file log_file

so "partition_of_SDcard" should be sdc, "sdimage_file" should be where the image is written, etc...

I never actually typed that command (or any ddrescue command) since I was not sure if my SDcard was showing up on my listing.

2) My card reader is built-into the PC (HP Media center M7160n) and it has 4 different card-reader formats (MMC/SD, SmartMedia/xD,...). I tried it on another card-reader on other PC with a similar setup. Same results.

Note that I have read my 512MB SD-card from this reader (or the other) many, many times.

3) I tried it again just now: I removed the SD-card from the PC-reader, re-inserted it (the green light goes on), retried to run the fdisk -l command with same results (same 8 sda showing).

4) I have a fairly new HP laptop and can try it on that system. Not sure if I can boot with the SimplyMepis CD?

Curious: from what you see in the results that I received so far, does the sdc card show up at all? Seems it does not. What would that indicate ?

Thanks again, A.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:28 AM   #20
uny

Forgot: when you say I may want to see if my camera can act as a reader (if it shows up using fdisk -l), do you mean I connect my camera to the PC with the USB cable, then try to see if it shows-up with fdisk command ?