Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:37 AM   #21
Administrator

Right (to both).

Try it using a different reader. Your new HP will probably boot with with Mepis (try it and see). Also, try it using your camera has a reader. See what you get doing it with it. A standard mass storage USB attached reader is usually (but not always) a better bet (some of the internal laptop readers do have issues because of the chipsets they're using with them).

su
fdisk -l

If it doesn't show up, remove it, wait a few seconds, reinsert it, and try it again. When you have a "flaky" card with component problems, sometimes it does take reinserting it more than once to get one where it's working. I've seen that a number of times with failing SD cards (and the temperature of the card sometimes makes a difference, with some working better after they get very warm, and some working better cool). I can remember needing to leave a card in my wife's laptop overnight before I got it working well enough to make a copy. After it got very hot, I was able to get it recognized and readable by removing and reinserting it. It took multiple passes over more than a day after that before I got a good enough copy to recover it's images (removing and reinserting it multiple times to get it reading areas of it again at times). Sometimes, they can be a lot of trouble (assuming it's not totally dead).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:26 AM   #22
uny

OK.. I'll try it on laptop and see what happens. I'll try it directly on card-reader (laptop has one) and will try it also by connecting the camera via USB-cable.

Actually, I can also try connecting the camera via USB-cable to my current PC and see if this helps.

The funny thing is first time I tried this (see post 2010-2-22 @9:00pm) I was able to see something. And if you recall it gave me a bunch of errors like:
Info fld = 0x0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0 logical block 0
etc...

That was the only time I ever saw anything other than sda1 to sda9 (partitions on my hard disk).

At that point the SD-card was cold (I had just inserted it). When I tried another time about 30-60 min later (when it was warm/hot), nothing appeared - as if SD-card was not present. So maybe it is better 'cold'? I guess I'll have to try both cold & hot.

I'll give it a shot this evening and see how it goes.
Thanks, A.
uny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:40 AM   #23
Administrator

If you can get it where it's showing up, you can make as many passes as you need to, provided you're using a log file. That way, you can let it cool off in between passes, and it will only try to read what hasn't been copied without errors so far.

When you do that, make sure you're saving the log file to one of your hard drives (a mounted partition somewhere). Just follow the same instructions you'll see in this thread (minus the photorec part, until you get a reasonably good copy of it). Note how the commands are changing to a mounted partition (/mnt/sda2 in that thread) before doing the copy using ddrescue (and if you click on a partition under Storage Media, it will automatically mount it for you). That way, the log file will be on a hard drive (allowing you to reboot if you need to use Windows for something, and still rerun the same commands, using the same log file later, only copying areas that were not previously copied without errors.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...hc-card-2.html
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:13 AM   #24
uny

Thanks again. I'll try it.

By the way, you said you even use ddrescue for PC backups, making a full disk image copies of your drives. Have you ever had to 'recover' any PC disk info with ddrescue?

And if you're using ddrescue to create an image of your Windows PC, where (to what device) do you 'image' this ?
I'm assuming you can only go to another large disk. Or can you image to DVD?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:24 AM   #25
Administrator

Yes. I've used it to copy bad drives. That's what it was originally designed for.

Then, after you get a good copy, you can use other utilities to find and correct file system problems (chkdsk under windows, fsck under Linux for ext3 partitions, etc.). That way, the file system utilities don't have to worry about hard errors like you'd see on a bad or failing drive (since the new drive would not have those types of errors).

If you're using ddrescue to create an image of a device, you'll need as much space on the destination device as the source drive has (and it does not compress the image).

You can pipe it through a compression utility like gzip. But, I prefer to use a straight device to image (or device to device) copy instead. That way you avoid any potential problems with the compression algorithm (for example, if a few bits get flipped somewhere along the way due to a drive or transfer problem, you may render a compressed file unreadable).

You can also use it to clone drives. Basically, instead of using an image file on a mounted partition, you can copy straight to another drive. For example, this would copy /dev/sda to /dev/sdb (including the MBR, all partitions, etc.):

ddrescue /dev/sda /dev/sdb drivecopy.log

Note that the third parameter (log file) is optional. But, I always use a logfile to make sure I have the ability to start and stop a copy process as needed and make multiple passes as desired (which can be very useful with a failing hard drive, since they usually work better when cool, allowing you to let the drive cool off when you start getting too many errors during a copy, then restarting it without it trying to copy areas it's already copied OK).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:14 PM   #26
uny

Hi Jim,
I booted HP laptop with SimplyMepis CD. Worked fine. I inserted SD-card in card-reader, but the light (next to reader) did not go on (bad sign). I inserted a few times - nothing.

I opened a shell, typed fdisk -l and it only shows 3 sda. I checked via Storage-Media and same thing: it shows 3 partitions on hard-disk (300Gb media, system, recovery) plus SimplyMepis CD. I could click on any and it would show me its content.

No SD-card.
No internet extensions, so no wireless access (can't cut-&-paste details).

I'll try with camera connected via cable to USB port.
Thanks, A.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:23 PM   #27
uny

BTW, to make sure the card-reader worked OK, I tried to insert another SD-card (32mb card which came with camera) into HP laptop.

It appeared as both:
a) Storage Media (as Canon_DC, file type: Mounted Camera)
b) under fdisk -l: it shows as /dev/sdb 31mb

I'll try with camera attached via USB cable.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:56 PM   #28
uny

I plugged my camera (Canon Powershot SD1100is) on HP laptop. When I had my 32mb SD-card, it recognized it. I was able to see individual pictures.

I repeated same process with my 512mb SD-card, it showed 3 items:
a) summary.txt
b) about.txt
c) store_00010001

When I click on 'store' (which contained all the jpg for 32mb card), it said "no items, no file, no folders".

Let me know your thoughts.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:09 PM   #29
Administrator

Don't click on the in the file manager (as that mounts it, and you don't really want that when trying to recover images). Also, if you swap cards without using the "eject" feature, the FAT can be in cache and confuse the operating system.

see if it shows up using this:

fdisk -l

If so, then use ddrescue to copy the contents of the card (as described in previous posts).

What does that give you with it plugged into the camera (your bad card)?

su
fdisk -l
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:09 PM   #30
uny

OK. I'll try that tomorrow from a PC wired to internet (not wireless) so I can cut-&-paste the results here.

But if I recall, nothing showed with fdisk -l command on my 512mb SD-card.

By the way, in linux how do you 'eject' a card from the camera while its connected to PC (SimplyMepis) ? I tried right-clicking, but there are no options avail. I typed 'help', but could not find proper command.

Tks, A.