Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:59 PM   #1

Default Maxell MAXimum 4GB SDHC - any users?

This is not a "what card should I get for my FZ38" thread as I have already bought the card (for under 7 I'll have you know ). I should probably mention that I *don't* actually have the FZ38 yet, but soon!

Just wondering if anybody has had experience with this particular series of SDHC card and how it performs; I really struggled to find read/write specs for it, apart from the "up to 10mb/s read" the packaging claims, and that it is a Class 4 card which was largely my reason for buying it.

I really can't justify spending 20 on a 4GB "whistles and bells" Extreme III card when HD video really doesn't interest me, but if people recommend it then perhaps I'll reconsider!

Thanks in advance,
D
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:45 PM   #2

OK I got my FZ38 (beautiful, as you all know) and within 1 hour of snapping away the Maxell card died. Took it back to Tesco, showed them the error on the camera and they gave me a cash refund straight away!

My first priority when buying a memory card was price, but seeing where that got me it's no longer an issue. Got my eye on a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB for 10, which I think will do me nicely provided it can keep up with 720p video!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:02 PM   #3

ya davi thats what i use is the sandisk ultra 2 .and a couple of PNY cards too..2-gig and 4 and 8 and never had any prob's with any of them...i like the sandisk the best though...gonna try an ultra 3 here pretty quick just to see if thers that much differents in speed ..im sure there is a little anyways...still got a few old sandisk 512's and 128's from 5 years ago or so and still workin good ..slower but still good
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:04 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply kirby - very helpful to know if people actually use and recommend a product before I buy it! Can't decide between 2GB and 4GB though; I think 4GB is much better value because it's less than 2x the price of the 2GB, however I'm not sure about availability.

Does anybody know the difference betweek the Ultra and Ultra II cards, if there actually is any (or if it's simply a name change)? I was looking at both the other day...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:47 PM   #5

i do have one ultra 2gig card ..taking pic's i cant really tell any differents but when i load them on the pc i can tell it loads up a little slower then the ultra2 but not by much...but the ultra 2's are a little faster.....to me it doesnt really matter im in no hurry to load them anyways....i havent really takin any burst shots over 4 or 5 at a time so it could be a little faster then the ultra ..ill have to test that....lol...ill get back with ya on that ok...lol...ooops im sorry davi i would go with the ultra 2 at least for video...they worked just fine with my cannon sx110 is with the video..plenty fast enough

Last edited by kirby; Mar 27, 2010 at 5:56 PM.
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6

I had a choice between the Ultra II, 2GB for 10, or the Ultra, 4GB for 15, and I went with the bigger card - they both claim 15MB/s read speed; as for write speed I'll have to benchmark it! I decided that 2GB of very slightly faster (but considerably more expensive) memory simply wasn't what I needed; I will be taking a lot of photos and not shooting much HD video, but I'll give it a test run and see how things go!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:14 AM   #7

Just realised when I went back to Tesco that underneath all the Ultra 4GB cards were Ultra II 4GB cards for the same price - D'oh!

I wonder if there is any difference... I'm getting a card reader soon and will benchmark the Ultra to find out.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:43 AM   #8

Aaaw if only I saw this thread earlier!

I bought 2 of these very same cards (a few weeks apart) from TESCO, and you know what? both died, one in my camera, the other in my eBook reader...

Shocking service from Maxell as well, I called them up after the second one died, and they couldn't care less and told me to just go back to TESCO, who thought I was pulling a fast one.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote