Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:18 PM   #1

Default G3 and compact flash card

I'm ordering my G3 today and would like to find out what memory card to get as I don't think the one coming with the camera will be enough. I'd like to get it at the same time I order my camera (from B&H), altho perhaps this isn't feasible.

I was going to get a Sandisk (because that's what Canon sends with the camera) in a 256. But they come in ultra as well as other versions and there isn't any explanation as to the difference.

Help?
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:40 AM   #2

A 512MB Sandisk Ultra card would be perfect for you. Reliability is excellent and speed will be excellent in a USB 2.0 reader if you use such a device.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to get the camera ordered so just went ahead and got a 256 Lexar 16x. I'm hoping it's sufficient to start off. I'll probably get a larger card for my next purchase.

I don 't have a reader yet. I'll probably get one eventually but it's not really a priority for me. My next purchase will be the external flash, as that's what I really want/need.

The reason I went with Lexar over the Sandisk is that I started to hear opposing reports on them, so I just wasn't sure.

Gwen
Old Dec 5, 2003, 7:13 PM   #4

I have a G3 and have a multitude of CF cards ranging from 64MB to 256MB. All of my cards work great. The Lexar I have works fine. Great little camera.

I also got the SunPak add on flash for the G3 and it works pretty well. I am not quite sure I notice much difference from the built in flash when compared to the SunPak though. So you may want to check out the Speed Flashes.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 7:49 PM   #5

I was planning on getting the canon speedlite, I think it's called 420EX. Years ago I had a nice Sunpak for a manual film Canon camera and I loved it. It was quite heavy duty. I would get that again but I don't think it works as well as the Canon one. Plus if I ever upgrade to a Canon dslr, then I would at least have a flash that worked well with it. I don't think the 420EX works perfectly with the G3. From what I can tell, there isn't a flash/speedlite that will work 100% with the auto modes and all.

The G3 is a little different from the G2 I had borrowed for a while and the software for zoombrowser looks totally different so I have a little bit to learn for a while. Should be fun!

Gwen