Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:03 PM   #1

Default Are the many fast speed SD memory cards worth the money?

Hi I just bought a Canon PowerShot SD10 camera few days ago and want to upgrade the Secure Digital memory. However there are so many claim high speed transfer, read cards out there such as SanDisk Ultra, SimpleTech, etc. I called Canon and they said there's no guarantee that the speed would make that much difference on the camera. I think it would be better if I do get the high speed SD cards to use it on a USB 2, 6 in one CF/SM/MS/MD/MC/SD card reader that has transfer data at a BLISTERING 480Mbps. Anyone have this similar experience of purchasing a high speed SD card and the results. And also compare the speed when using the card on a fast USB card reader.

Thansk...
bobo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:16 PM   #2

a camera such as that and my A1 do not support the rates that the cards can accept. currently the highest speed camera to card xfr is the nikon D2H at approx 5 MB/s. now what the card does in a reader can and will be different. what firewire can do and what it actually does as with anything else is usually 2 different things. so many factors affect flow. most readers seem to top out at about at 9MB/sec far below the highest speed firewire A supports.

SD cards/CF cards are similar in performance. CF cards still hold the edge in the BLISTERING speed capability department. unfortunately everything else around both types are slower in true performance at this point.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:27 AM   #3

So it isn't going to speed up image transfer from buffer to card on my HP945?
photosmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:48 AM   #4

it will go the maximum your camera is capable of. if 1MB/s is it, thats it. now that doesn't mean your investment is a loss. on the sandisk extremes i believe there is either a 5yr or lifetime warranty. 5 ys on lexars. i don't know simpletechs. also you will probably change cameras in a few years which may hopefully have an increased xfr rate as they learn to control power in the cameras more efficiently.

xfring fom card to computer will be faster though. 5-9MB/s is nothing to sneeze at. on my 32 bit cardbus pcmcia reader from delkin i can push about 7MB/s off my CF cards. there is no instant gratification yet.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:01 PM   #5

Thanks sjms

Thats been very helpful.

stuie
photosmarty is offline   Reply With Quote