Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:42 PM   #1

Default which type of card ?

hi, i am looking at getting a Sony cyber-Shot DSC-TX5 and i see it takes 2 different types of cards. the Memory Stick PRO Duo and the Mark 2 SDHC type.

the camera only comes with a small amount of internal memory so i will be looking to get a memory card with the camera also, but i have no idea which or if it really matters.

can anyone shed some light on which if any would be better to get.
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:05 PM   #2

It doesn't really matter, as far as the camera is concerned, but Memory Sticks are slower and cost more than SDHC cards.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:25 PM   #3

SDHC as Tcav said the memory sticks will be slower

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:01 AM   #4

ok thanks
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:50 PM   #5

Sony suggests using Pro Duo cards with the Mark 2 designation, Pro-HG or Class 4 and higher SDHC cards. No matter which you choose, pick up at least or 4GB or 6GB card. The TX5 has 45MB of internal memory to capture up to nine shots when you fill your card.
retpitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
SDHC as Tcav said the memory sticks will be slower

dave
In Steve's review of the A550 he had these comments on memory:

"Switching to RAW with the Optical Viewfinder, I was able to capture 25 images in 5.2 seconds (4.8fps) before the camera slowed down, still capturing 87 images over 30 seconds. The camera's buffer took 7 seconds to clear with the Sandisk 8GB 30MB/Second Pro-HG Duo card. Switching to a Sandisk 4GB 30MB/Second SDHC card, I was able to capture 14 images in 3 seconds before the camera slowed down, capturing 49 images in 30 seconds. A full buffer took approximately 11 seconds to clear with the Sandisk 4GB 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC Card. In other words, the best performance when shooting RAW is with a Sandisk 30MB/Second Pro-HG Duo card, allowing more RAW images before the camera slows down, with faster full buffer clear times (as compared to a Sandisk 4GB 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC Card, which tested slower than Sandisk Pro-HG Duo media in this camera model)."

Of course, even if they are slightly faster in some cases, the cost difference certainly justifies buying SD instead.

Last edited by meanstreak; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:55 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
...Of course, even if they are slightly faster in some cases, the cost difference certainly justifies buying SD instead.
In the newer Sony dSLR models like the A550, a Sandisk 30MB/Second MS Pro-HG Duo is a lot faster than SDHC, not just slightly faster (photos in a burst, buffer full rate, buffer clear time) compared to a Sandisk 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC Card.

But, I don't know if that applies to non-dSLR models or not.

As for price, you can sometimes find them for less than a Sandisk 30MB/Second SDHC card, depending on the exact size/model and where you buy one. For example, you can buy a 16GB Sandisk Ultra II 30MB/Second Pro-HG Duo card at newegg.com for $76.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171414

That's less than I'm seeing the Sandisk 16GB 30MB/Second SDHC cards selling for when checking around at reputable vendors.

But, note that you need the Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo cards to get faster throughput. The other types of MS Pro Duo cards will be slower. AFAIK, Steve's is the only major review site that's tested a Sandisk 30MB/Second Pro-HG Duo card in a Sony dSLR like the A550 to see how throughput compared to a Sandisk 30MB/Second SDHC card. Other reviews I've seen used the much slower MS Pro Duo Mark II cards for tests.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:40 PM   #8

well the Sony TX5 has just started to appear on some sites such as amazon over here in the UK so i will be ordering one in the next week or so.

is this card the type of thing that it needed ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Fla...2411270&sr=1-2

edited due to linking the wrong item :P

Last edited by Blaupunkt; Apr 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:32 PM   #9

That's a Class 4 card, so you may have trouble recording long video clips. Class 6 or even Class 10 would be better, but also more expensive.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:28 PM   #10

this one seems cheap enough ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-SD...2489996&sr=1-1