Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:54 PM   #1

Default Reading SDHC cards

A bit of a silly question, but I was under the impression that my built in sd card reader would be able to read my SDHC card, but I was shocked when it didn't.

Do I need a different card reader for this now? I have a 8GB SDHC card with my canon sdlr xsi with pics on it from the easter egg hunt with the kids am trying to access.

I know I can use the usb cable, but I'll rather use the reader
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:47 PM   #2

It's possible that your built-in card reader can read SD Cards but not SDHC Cards. Have you tried SD Cards before?

If all else fails, you can connect your XSi to your computer via the USB cable.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3

SD and SDHC cards have the same pins, but they do addressing differently. This change allowed SDHC cards to surmount the 2 GB limit of SD. My Toshiba laptop has a built-in SD card reader that will not read SDHC cards. It cannot be modified, which probably means that neither Toshiba nor anyone else has written a modified driver. I suspect this could be done because a (free) firmware upgrade to my Fuji Finepix S700 allowed it to read SDHC cards as well as the SD cards that it needed with the original firmware. To solve this problem I bought an Iogear GFR209T USB card reader at Target for $9.99. It reads both SDHC and SD as well as a few others. Newegg also has it for the same price and frequently with free shipping.
clickerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4

I found myself in the same situation as clickerpete. My laptop can only read SD cards so I picked up an inexpensive USB card reader that works for SD as well as SDHC cards. Easiest way to download photos without downloading directly from the camera.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:54 AM   #5

Default MEM card hlep

I am using a 4gb sdhc card in my d90 and i am planning to buy a 8 gb sd will the sd card type hav infulence on my fps wil i shoot on continous mode or not....? should i buy SDHC or SD is sufficient or if my FPS improves i can go for SD extreme from san disk plz help
fel208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:10 PM   #6

Above 2 GB NO SD cards exist! SD is only declared up to 2 GB.
There are some old "undefined" 4 GB SD cards which may work or not.

For 4 GB and more there only exists SDHC - and new - SDXC from 64 GB till 2 TB

You will find NO 8 GB SD cards because they don't exist.

SDHCs are available as class2/class4/class6/class10 with guaranteed write speed 2/4/6/10 MBps
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:32 AM   #7

Will it affect my continous shooting by any way....?
fel208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:08 AM   #8

I think class6 always should be enough - in most cases camera interface is slower than SDHC card.

There is a very fast intern camera memory (only some megabytes) - if it is full, shooting speed is reduced till data are written to card.

Your 10 shoots with 5 shoots per second drop to 1 shoot per second - with normal card - and (hehe) 1.5 shoots per second with ultrafast card :-)

No camera is a high speed Kalaschnikov ....
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:41 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel208 View Post
I am using a 4gb sdhc card in my d90 and i am planning to buy a 8 gb sd will the sd card type hav infulence on my fps wil i shoot on continous mode or not....? should i buy SDHC or SD is sufficient or if my FPS improves i can go for SD extreme from san disk plz help
Your D90 does show an increase in write speed with faster cards. Some tests show it's write speed to be almost twice as fast with a Sandisk 30MB Extreme III versus a number Class 6 SDHC Cards, clocking at over 20MB/Second to an 8GB 30MB/Second Extreme III.

With a 30MB/Second Extreme III, your D90 can shoot JPEG Fine images at 5fps for 100 frames without any slowdown. Shooting RAW, you only get 11 frames before it slows down to around 2.4fps (but, full buffer clear time is only about 5.2 seconds). With the Standard Extreme III, buffer clear time is roughly twice as long.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel208 View Post
Will it affect my continous shooting by any way....?
Class rating is irrelevant as it only indicates that a given card can reach that speed, not sustain it. Also, card manufacturers are the one who put that rating on the card. There is no independent entity that verifies that cards operate at the rated class speed. I have an old unclassified Sandisk Extreme III card that easily performs at/above Class 6 speeds. I have a Class 10 Panasonic card that benchmarks only slightly better than a Class 6 150x Transcend card. In most cases, a good Class 4 card is more than enough.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to find real benchmarks posted on the net for all the cards out there. This test lists a few though.