Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:17 PM   #1

Default Patriot cards

Hi - just wondering if anyone has advice on the Patriot Memory Cards offered for sale in stores and on Amazon etc. I looked around online and the reviews seem respectable, and the ones I've had before have been fine. I have also used their flash drives, and they seem fine too. I bought a Class 6 8gb card and was looking forward but now doubts have been cast upon the purchase... any advice before it arrives and I rip it all open to snap pics in the new camera?
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:39 PM   #2

andytree-

I have had a 100% success rate with the Patriot brand.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:01 PM   #3

I was looking at Patriot 8GB today. They have an Iris and Signature line. Both class 6. Poking around all I can find is market-speak. I'd like to think the Iris is actually better in some way but I'd also like to know before I buy it. It's only 3 bucks more, but...you know.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:10 PM   #4

Thanks SJ! Frank, not sure, myself, but if the actual write speed isn't different, I don't know why you would need to pay more for one than the other?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:15 PM   #5

Depending on the type of camera you are using a class 6 is all you will need for video. I just got a class 10 card today for my dslr. And I do notice a bit of a difference With my class 6, It was good for 18 shots at burst before shutter lag hit, with the class 10 I was good to 24 shots before shutter lag. All taken the highest jpeg model. If you do not have a camera that can use that kinda of speed, it is really not worth the extra money.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:26 PM   #6

Thanks Shorturtle! I do not have an SLR, nor will I, so I'm feeling ok about this now. Phew!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytree View Post
Thanks SJ! Frank, not sure, myself, but if the actual write speed isn't different, I don't know why you would need to pay more for one than the other?
actual read/write speeds vary all over. the class is just a minimum spec. they all beat it. personally, i've been ok with any class 6 sdhc card. just looking into the future and want to buy quality if it exists.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:22 PM   #8

OK. For one dollar more than Patriot Class 6, I got class 10 8GB. Little test in my Sony a550..
Verbatim class 6 4GB raw 3:2 13 shots before slow-down. the 3 every 5 seconds.
Patriot class 10 8GB raw 3:2 14 shots and then the same...

The 13 vs 14 could be measurement error. I'd say in my camera they perform the same.