Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:54 AM   #11

Hi all,
First post here in the forum. I must say that this site is great. Steve's reviews helped me to decide on the camera that I just purchased - the Canon Digital Rebel EOS.

Now I have a question on what I should get: compact flash I or compact flash II.

I am very new to photography but am eager to learn more, currently I use the camera to just take pictures of family events etc. I have never used the burst mode, just 1 picture at a time.

I will be choosing between 2 cards:

1. IBM 1 gb microdrive (priced around $160)
2. Sandisk 1 gb Ultra II compact flash (priced around $280)

For my shooting habits will the Sandisk Ultra II be a lot better than the IBM? Will I regret not getting the fast Sandisk card as my knowledge in photography grows?

I did notice that the Sandisk has a lifetime warranty compared to the 1 year warranty of the IBM.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated,

Jeff
jefftaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:50 AM   #12
NHL

If you value the lifetime warranty, and the extra "insurance" that you buy in the Sandisk Ultra II, then go ahead... (Did you pay for the extended warranty on your camera which is only 1 year as well?)

In term of speed even on multi-burst, you are not going to see any difference between the two formats with your camera since the camera itself is going to be slower than either the CF card (Type I) or the Microdrive (Type II). In term of battery consumption, do you care if you can fill more than one Microdrive with just 1 battery?

BTW you can almost afford a Sigma 500DG Super external flash with the $ difference between the two formats, which is a virtual clone to the 550EX... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:34 PM   #13

NHL,

Thanks for the reply I am going to get the IBM 1 gb microdrive. Now about that flash - I looked and could only find the Sigma EF-500 Super (not 500DG) is that the flash you were talking about? If not could you post a link to the right product?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:11 PM   #14

NHL,

I found the Sigma 500 DG Super

Jeff
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:36 AM   #15

I was looking at the drive in NHL's link and it gives operating temp and humidity levels. Do these have a use meaning? I'm concerned because I live in Houston were below 65 F only happens in winter and not for long. As for humidity we regularly hit 90% pr more.

I just bought my first digital a nikon 4300.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:25 AM   #16
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man
I was looking at the drive in NHL's link and it gives operating temp and humidity levels. Do these have a use meaning? I'm concerned because I live in Houston were below 65 F only happens in winter and not for long. As for humidity we regularly hit 90% pr more...
Of course it does... have you checked the specs on your camera? My 10D says humidity range 85% or lower (they have moving parts too), but that doesn't prevent me from taking pictures in the Caribbean or hot/humid beaches!

The Microdrives are rated higher than the camera in both temperature(55C) and humidity(90%). BTW they'll also survive a drop (with a shock rating of 175G during operation and 1500G @ idle) and very likely not the camera! ... Just be careful as with any equipments. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:58 PM   #17

Are you implying that I should actually read my camera's manual? I just don't know what say. Should I stop and ask for directions when I'm driving too?

Thanks for the answer. I'm just concerned that I'd be outside of the parameters 90 plus percent of the time. Not just for a week or two on vacation.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:02 PM   #18

NHL,

I forgot to mention that I live in Denver CO (elevation 8500 ft). If I take the micro drive up to the mountains will I be in trouble (elevation 11,000 ft) ??? :!:

Jeff
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:31 PM   #19

As I recall, IBM stated 10,000ft/3,000m as the limit for the microdrive. You would be pushing the limit at 11,000ft.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote