Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:06 PM   #1

Default CF or MicroDrive

Hi,
I'm just about to change from my Kodak DC4800 to a Canon EOS 300D, I just want to ask whether I should get a 1Gb microdrive or a Compact Flash. I have no experience of the MD but it seems to be recommended.

I have searched the 'net but can't seem to find a non sales-based review comparing similarly sized CF and MD and giving a pros and cons of each.

All advice greatfully received.
T0M0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 5:31 PM   #2

The major advantage of the microdrive is price, its disadvantage is less durability - though I think that is overstated. Another problem with the microdrive is altitude - it uses air as a lubricant so cannot be used above 10,000ft/3,000m.

Take a serious look at the price of each, and decide on that basis.

Having a big chunk of memory is really nice, esp if you plan to shoot RAW. One big chunk is better than a bunch of little ones - you don't have to fumble about swithing them. Also, it seems pretty much all memory damage (rare) comes from handling so the less handling, the less problems.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:04 PM   #3
NHL

FYI

1G IBM Microdrive for $168 (free shipping!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:09 PM   #4

NHL- why did i know you'd show up here.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 1:49 AM   #5

Thanks for all that, very uselful. However does anyone have the actual read/write experience/data for both types. ??
Old Dec 5, 2003, 5:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M0S
Thanks for all that, very uselful. However does anyone have the actual read/write experience/data for both types. ??
If you mean speed, that will depend on the camera as much as the kind of memory/microdrive. There are some time comparisons in the detailed reviews at dpReview.

If you mean problems, the error rate for all kinds of memory is so low that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of reliable data. It does seem that most/all reports of memory problems contain some mention of handling.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 6:21 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
NHL- why did i know you'd show up here.
... Well for one: just like Bill stated "its disadvantage is less durability - though I think that is overstated". Some of my drives are now two years past their warranty and they are still happily spinning!

Each format (solid state or spinning media) has their merits and since I work and design with both, I'm fully aware of their limitations as well... All I can say is with the $ saving I realized in getting the microdrives (now 4) over comparable CF cards allowed me to experiment with the 2G MagicStor. So far this device is working like a champ... and I hope to report back a year from now to everyone. :P

As you know and probably do the same as well, but when on travel a Gig a day is usually the norm. Most folks would then download their cards to a laptop or portable HD, and then tell everyone not to put all their eggs in one basket! Well I'm now at a point where I don't need to bring my MindStor or its cumbersome charging cords anymore when traveling... I just have a lot of cheap spinning media instead which are much smaller and lighter than any databank(and its power source), and some odd CF cards if I need more films! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Bottom line is unless you have some extremely high end camera (or use them in Laptops), most folks will never see any speed differences between CF and the microdrives. Reading (ie downloading) is not the problem since even the slowest cards are plenty fast in read, but writing is. A camera internal design is usually the limiting factor and not the cards themselves!
Old Dec 5, 2003, 7:59 AM   #8

Thanks to all, sounds like the MicroDrive (price being the main factor) will be the best option. The camera is to be the Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel in the US). So I'll let you know how I get on and post some piccys too.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:28 AM   #9

Looking for a little more insight. I just ordered the Sony F828 today. My former camera was the F717. Now to my question. I've got about $300 to spend on storage for my new camera, what would you recommend? Some of the reviews on CF's have me a little concerned. Also, I don't want to mess with the switches on a memory stick.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:37 PM   #10
NHL

FYI

Lowest $/MB @ this time:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=338550