Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Which Memory Stick Pro is faster, Sandisk or Lexar

Who make the fastest Memory Stick Pro, Sandisk or Lexar?
iStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:11 AM   #2

its a moot point they both probably exceed the xfr rate of the camera itself.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:37 AM   #3

Currently SanDisk Ultra is the fastest of the two brands. I use both all the time in my USB 2.0 reader. The xfr speed with a USB 2.0 CompactFlash reader/writer is way above the that of what most cameras can do. So in that sense sjms is right. But if your using the cards for file transfer outside your camera and between PC's then get the Ultra. Otherwise it's a moot point. I think that's what sjms was saying.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:43 AM   #4

you will note he is referring to Sony based MEMORYSTICKS not CF cards. they(MS) ain't quite caught up yet in the speed department and probably never will. it nothing personal it business. the develpoement of the stick seems to be lessened. the new 828 comes with a CF slot in addition to the MS slot. this allows for greater capacity at less cost. again the limiting factor is the transfer bus in camera. my 1Ds has a max xfr rate of about 2MB/s regardless of the cards capability. now a Nikon D2H can do 5+MB/s with the sandisk ultra2. but thats still lower then what the card is capable of taking and giving.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:59 PM   #5

I'd imagine the three brands of MS Pro have the same performance. I'm hoping to get a 512 MB Sandisk MS Pro for Christmas ( ), but I won't have any other Pro media to compare it to. All I'll care about is that it will run circles around my standard memory sticks in speed and capacity.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote