Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 15, 2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Eye-Fi Available in Canada

Was at the Photographic Show in Toronto yesterday and spoke with the Eye-Fi folk. 2 cards. both class 6. 8GB. One uploads jpegs ($100). the pro model also does raw ($130 show special). He said "any raw". When I questioned for detail, well, he didn't really know anything.

I tried to find out how it transfers to your own computer and putting together a not-very-tech response with the written literature, it looks like there's a program running on your PC that will accept the connection and save the files to hard drive.

I don't know. Sounds good. Transfers looked fast. Easy. Snapped a few shots. Seconds later they appeared on the PC. I'd need to understand a bit more about the security issues of that piece of software on my PC before I'd load it. The WEP or WPA controls access to my network just fine, but further direct access to my computer? hmmmmm.

But I really want to. It'd simplify things for me. No cables.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 1:55 PM   #2

Frank, you can find a list of the RAW file formats that the Eye-Fi Pro X2 wirelessly transfers here: http://support.eye.fi/product-info/s...e-fi-pro-card/

In addition to wirelessly transferring RAW files, the Eye-Fi Pro X2 can also send photos and videos directly to a laptop computer (no router required) using an adhoc Wi-Fi connection. This can be useful for previewing pictures on your laptop on location.

For a comparison of the different cards' features and prices, please visit: http://www.eye.fi/products/compare-cards

There is software running on your computer which is the "receiver" so you can get the photos & videos on your computer. It will require firewall permission for the card to communicate with the Eye-Fi software on your computer.

- Eye-Fi Support
Eye-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 4:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the info pointers. I like the ad-hoc capability.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote