Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 7, 2003, 1:49 PM   #1

Default SanDisk Ultra II 256 MB Compact Flash Memory Card

I just ordered a Canon Powershot A80, so I am looking at memory options. I need Type I CF.

Is the SanDisk Ultra II 256 a Type I? I am also ordering a Viking 256 and I am going to see which one I like better, since this is my first.

Both should work well with the camera, no?

Appreciate the help.
iFroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2003, 2:17 PM   #2

Yes, I believe it is a type 1. The only type 2 that I know of is the MicroDrive (was IBM now is... hatachi?)

I bet the Ultra II is wasted on that camera, though. I doubt that it would be faster than the viking. This is because the camera will be the limiting factor.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:00 PM   #3

Hey.

I appreciate the response.

I had read several bad reviews on Amazon for the Viking. Basically, I wanted to give it a try but didn't want to fully rely on it, so I was gonna order another brand (SanDisk) as well.

Any other opinions or if anyone knows for sure on that SanDisk being Type 1, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:36 PM   #4

I played with an A80 for a couple of days and it's definitelyCF type 1 and a pain 'cos I have a MD for my 602. Oh, I tried a fast ultra card in it and it wouldn't fill in movie mode until I'd changed the formatted cluster size (8K I think?). Strange thing was, If I did an in-cam format, unlike my 602, it put the default card format back on. If I'd kept the camera I'd have had to erase pics rather than re-format to keep the modified cluster size intact. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:40 PM   #5

I don't really understand much of what you said. (Sorry, I'm really new to this).

I know the A80 accepts only CF I. I was just wondering if the SanDisk Ultra II was a CF I?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:43 PM   #6

voxmagna

Are you suggesting that it wouldn't go into movie mode at all, or just that it didn't do it efficiently? I'm not sure what "it wouldn't fill in movie" means.

iFroggy

CF (and hard disks, floppy disks, cd roms and more) all break up the physical media into chunks (called clusters). The size of the cluster (at least partially) pickable by the user. Here is another definition:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/cluster.html

What that matters to some cameras is that when used in movie mode, some cameras seem to be rather picky about what the custer size is. If the camera comes with a card, it would be setup with the correct cluster size (we assume) but if you buy a card from another source, you don't know what the cluster size will be, or if it will work with the movie mode.

Either way, it won't effect the ability to store pictures at all.

Eric
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:20 PM   #7

Thanks Eric. I don't really plan on using movie mode.

I just wanted to see if this SanDisk Card was compatible and it must be...

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 7:46 AM   #8

I have never heard of a brand not being compatable except for the movie modes. The manufacturers some times require a special format on the card for it to work (which is a nasty, bad practice and I hope they stop it!) "special" can mean a certain cluster size, or it can mean a special mark put on the card to identify it as their brand card (olympus did this, I believe.)

Eric
Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the response.

Guess I'll go ahead and order then.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:50 PM   #10

...........it wouldn't fill in movie" means.

It means when the camera internal buffer memory isn't big enough or the card is too slow at it's default cluster size to accept the streamed data, the camera will stop continous recording before it fills the card i.e the camera buffer starts empty but as movie time goes on it never gets emptied fast enough, then when it fills up whilst you're still holding down the record button it stops recording. This won't happen with the A80's puny default card but it did when I put in a Sandisk Ultra 45 X 256Mb card before I tweaked it.

So if you're interested in movie or any of the fast multi-shot modes, it's a good idea to just hold your finger on movie record. If the camera carries on recording until 'card full' message on a large card - your camera can write data out as fast as your chosen card can accept it. That's a good card to camera marriage. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote