Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 7, 2003, 6:10 PM   #1

Default Sony F828 which memory type of select -?

This is the first I've been given a choice and I'm trying to figure out what memory type of get for the new Sony F828. The Microdrive is attractive but I assume is slower writting and eats up the battery faster but I'd love to know how much. The Compact Flash is cheaper them a 512 Pro Memory stick but I've also have to wonder how Sony did at their try using a different memory type then their own. Any have some insight or advice?
checkyourmirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2003, 6:22 PM   #2

i don't believe they had much of a choice. it took them 3 years to come up with a 512MB and 1gb cards and even then it required them to change the connection system. CF is so far advanced in its speed and developement to play catch up is going to take a considerable effort. now MS has not really expanded beyond sony and maybe a few other companies and even those others only get MS not MSpro. not much to look foward to there. so it come down to if you want to produce a 8MP camera and give the capacity needed to hold those image your cornered into CF. believe me they don't like it either.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:06 PM   #3

The way I see it, Sony is just offering the memory stick slot for the benefit of people who already own Sony cameras and memory sticks. Compact Flash is always going to be cheaper at a given capacity, and the fastest CF cards are faster even than memory stick pro. I have two Sony cameras, and I'll willingly admit that memory sticks are pretty lousy. The only advantage over CF cards is that they're smaller. If I was going to get an 828 (although I'm not planning to give up on my F717 for anything other than a dSLR), I would still be able to use the memory sticks I already have, but I would definitely buy CF when I went to expand my storage.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:15 AM   #4

Default memory speed

Here is what I read about memory speed.

Memory Stick Pro = 20mb/sec
60X CF card = 9mb/sec
reg. SD card = 2mb/sec

I woud think this would help the slow RAW write problem that the sony has if you use the memory stick pro? Can anyone else confirm this?
Ogdenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:23 AM   #5
NHL

Default Re: memory speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdenous
Here is what I read about memory speed.

Memory Stick Pro = 20mb/sec
60X CF card = 9mb/sec
reg. SD card = 2mb/sec

I woud think this would help the slow RAW write problem that the sony has if you use the memory stick pro? Can anyone else confirm this?
... Quite true, but you're mixing and matching: The transfer speed (ie read speed) is always fast even with slow CF devices. The key here is the write speed (ie when one writes RAW files) which Sony smartly declined to specify and only guarantees a minimum of "15Mbps when used with optimised, compatible devices". This is in Mbps as in Mega bits per second, ie 1.875MB/s, and not 9 MByte/s maximum as in CF!

Quite logical in fact when the transfers are done serially across a 10-pins interface rather than a parallel 16/32-bit interface as in CF...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 2:04 PM   #6

hi i have the sony 828 and i have used ms pro 512 flash cards and magicstor 2.2GB microdrive they all work fine with the ms pro being a little faster than the other 2 however the microdrive is a little slower than 512 but you would hardly notice,it it does use up a bit more power than the cards,sony quote about 450 shots with it i myself took 170 shots all with the flash at 8 mill and i only used less than 25% of the battery power so iam sure i would be able to get 600+ pics with it i will let you know if i do
steve
laserdischifi is offline   Reply With Quote