Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 30, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Default Soes it really matter what SD card for a Canon XSi

Hi,
I am switching over from CF cards on the old XT, to a XSi. I have to buy some SD cards, I see some sandisk 4($12) & 8 GB going pretty cheap on sale. I also see some sandisk Ultra II and PNY that go for more. Is there a rule of just get the cheapest you can, they are all the same,,,or something different. I will just be using for family and kids sports basketball.
Thanks

Last edited by Mark2009; May 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2

For typical family shooting, it probably doesn't make much difference. But for sports, you may want to shoot in Continuous mode (see page 63 of the Instruction Manual), and you need a fast card to prevent pauses in shooting while the camera moves photos from the buffer to the card. Class 6 cards are a good idea for the XSi.

BTW, to shoot indoor basketball, you're going to need a large aperture medium telephoto lens. Do you have one?

Last edited by TCav; May 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:52 AM   #3

Yes, I have a 85mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.5, both canon..When you say a fast card, how can I tell, what are the sandisk cards they sell at best buy, etc? Like I said, family stuff,,,but in the Fall will be taking basketball shots indoors of my son,,,if you could tell me if one card would be better than the other, I went and bought 2 4gb standard,,(blue) san disk cards,,,they where on sale for $10 each,,,so I figured what the heck.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 10:16 AM   #4

SDHC Cards are available in any of the SD Association's Speed Classes. The Class logos on SDHC cards indicate the minimum transfer speed of the cards. Basically, the logos are a letter "C" with a number in the center.

That number identifies the Speed Class. You should know that there is no independant body that verifies a manufacturer's claim for speed, so if speed is a concern (as it should be if you plan to shoot in Continuous mode), then you should only buy products from reputable manufacturers. I'd include SanDisk, Lexar, and Kingston in that group, and I'm sure others will add others. Personally, I'd stick with SanDisk and Lexar.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote