Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Default Memory Card Review and Tested... which magazine?

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knew what photography magazine did a full review of all memory cards. They reviewed/tested actual write times and read times than what the manufactory claimed, price comparison, continuos shooting, HD Recording, and etc... It was the best review I have seen on all memory cards... They gave you the best bang for your buck and also choosing the best memory card !

I went back to the bookstore a week later and could not find that same magazine since there are quite a few photography magazines to choose from. I am not sure why I did'nt buy that magazine when I had a chance..

Thanks,

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:26 AM   #2
Administrator

Here's one site that has speed tests of various card types that you may find handy. Just select a card type from this page to see results by card (with speeds testing in more than one card reader):

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/speed-by-cards.html

For example, here's the page with tests of SDHC cards like your T1i would use:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-sdc.html

Your T1i does seem to do better with faster cards (and that's not always the case with a camera, as the camera can be the bottleneck versus the speed of the card once you get to a certain speed card). So, if you really wanted the best performance (for example, the fastest full buffer frame rate shooting raw, with faster buffer flush times), a Sandisk 30MB/Second card would probably be the best right this minute.

If you want better "bang for the buck", I'd probably look at a Class 10 Transcend (as they cost a lot less compared to the Sandisk 30MB/Second cards). For example, you can get a 16GB Transcend Class 10 card for $46.99 with free shipping from newegg.com right now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:32 AM   #3
Administrator

Note that Rob Galbraith has a database of card tests in a variety of cameras (since different devices are going to work differently with a given card model, it's best to compare how a specific camera works with a specific card). It allows you to pick a camera from a drop down list and see how different cards tested in one. You'll find it here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

But, it hasn't been updated in a while (so newer cameras and cards are not in it yet).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Jim,

thank you so much for the awesome links !! I really like to look at the data like this ! It really hate to always just buy into what manufactory claims vs. actual data..

I don't do any burst type shooting, so I am just looking for the all around best bang for the buck memory card. Anything is probably better than the one I have since I got this 8 gb generic brand one for free !! lol