Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:57 AM   #11

Yup.. can't beat a lifetime warranty !!!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:50 PM   #12

JimC
Is there any issues on a Canon XSI using a class 10. I don't know anything about the Classes, is there a max out on the camera, or with a laptop. I have a SD slot on my laptop that I just put the card into? I guess any compatabliity issue is my question on class #

Thank you for the info on reliability on the Transcend.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:58 PM   #13
Administrator

The Class is just a speed rating, not an indication of compatibility with a camera. A Class 10 should work fine with an XSi.

As for your card reader, you can run into problems with some readers, as many are compatible with SD cards but not SDHC cards. That doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the card, as the specifications for how a device like a card reader or camera interface with cards changed with SDHC. So, some internal readers have issues with SDHC cards (with some readers limited to max SD Card sizes of 1 to 2GB, since they don't support higher capacity SDHC cards).

If it's a relatively new laptop, you shouldn't have any issues. If it's an older laptop, it may not support SDHC cards (as the specifications for SDHC cards were not completed until mid 2006, and may not have been included in some card reader designs until much later). But, USB attached SDHC readers are relatively inexpensive now (you can find them for under $10) if you run into problems reading SDHC cards with it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:00 PM   #14

Okay, thanks,,,I have a 4mb class 2 SDHC I have been just plugging into my SD slot on my laptop, and it works fine, so the other should work then, it sounds like.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:04 PM   #15
Administrator

Yes. If a 4GB SDHC card is already working, then larger SDHC card sizes should work, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:05 PM   #16

JimC

Great, thanks again for your help!!

Mark2009
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:09 AM   #17

Got my Transcend 16 gb Class 10 card in from newegg the other day and been taking some pics with it.. What a diffrence it is shooting with a Class 2 card and moving to a Class 10 card.

The diffrence is night and day and not to mention burst shooting...Wow!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Well, I ordered a 4gb class 6 off newegg for $11.99, see how it works. I looked thru the forum, and see good and bad reviews, mostly good, and then a few that in less than a year they had failures. I just don't want to be shooting my sons basketball game and boom, a problem.
Tough when you have 3 kids and on a budget
I uses allot of different brands of cards at work, transcend, sandisk, delkin, laxar, kingston, and panasonic and they all do fail. But it is not a common thing. Their will be failures, but very rear. Stick with a name brand and the chances of a failure is really not that high. But if you are really worry about failure.

Go with the thinking to have couple of card, and switch them up while shooting.

But I have been using my current transcend class 10 for about 10000 shots, and have reformatted them ever time I finish importing them to my computer, and have not had an issue. My delkin class 6 has 20000 shots on it and it has been fine. I use that one for my epl-1 as it is all that epl-1 needs, and the transcend in my canon t1i.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Okay, thanks,,,I have a 4mb class 2 SDHC I have been just plugging into my SD slot on my laptop, and it works fine, so the other should work then, it sounds like.

Also is you are taking action shots, a class 6 or 10 will give you a longer burst rate before you hit the buffer lag.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:49 PM   #20

Last weekend I was glad to have a lot of Transcend cards (I ONLY use 8 & 16 GB class6/class10 Transcends) .. took my brothers wedding with Canon SX1 .... 50 GB :-)

Today I will buy a Transcend 8 GB class10 - class10 is NOT necessary, buuuut CHEAPER than class6 :-)

PS: I'm formating my cards ~ once every half year in camera :-) ... and I'm using 20 different cameras.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote