Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:19 PM   #1

Default ACTUAL write speeds Sandisk Ultra vs. Lexar Platinum II?

I just received an SD card I bought from a reputable on line dealer. I ordered an 8GB Platinum II 60X Class 4 SDHC Memory Card but was sent a Sandisk ultra 8gb (class 4) instead. This may not be a bad thing if it writes faster. I cannot find any information on this card as all of the sites I have gone to refer to the ULTRA II while this does not have a number after the word Ultra.

I just found the card on sandisk's site, but like all cards in it's class only gives a maximum speed, not an actual tested write speed. Obviously, that's not much help when trying to compare cards in the same class. I guess with that kind of thinking I can say that my old honda accord can do 150mph. It's all very frustrating.

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk...ltra-sdhc-card

I will be using it in a nikon d5000 and wanted a low cost and slightly higher speed card for some raw shooting.

thanks!

Last edited by gregg; Jun 13, 2010 at 7:40 PM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
I just found the card on sandisk's site, but like all cards in it's class only gives a maximum speed, not an actual tested write speed. Obviously, that's not much help when trying to compare cards in the same class. I guess with that kind of thinking I can say that my old honda accord can do 150mph. It's all very frustrating.

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductPage.aspx?ID=1158
That link doesn't work for me. Maybe this is the type of card
you have:
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk...ltra-sdhc-card

They claim 15MB/s which is faster than a typical class 4 card, but not
as fast as the newer Extreme II. The specs are a bit vague:

"With fast transfer speeds of up to 15MB/second*"

"Fast read speeds of up to 15MB/second*; write speed lower"

Apart from marketing hype, there may be technical reasons why
they don't want to be too specific about R/W speeds. Speeds are
likely to vary depending on fragmentation and smart wear leveling.

Try some speed tests in a card reader to see how it performs.
You will need a modern USB2 reader to keep up with the
current generation of SDHC cards. I have a cheap Tesco
supermarket branded multi card reader. It manages write
speeds of about 7MB/s with class 4 cards and 16-20MBs
with a SILICON POWER class 10 card.

Quote:
I will be using it in a nikon d5000 and wanted a low cost and slightly higher speed card for some raw shooting.

thanks!
Your new card looks like a perfect match for the D5000.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:56 AM   #3

First, SanDisk recently just dropped all the Roman Numerals off their model designations. SanDisk's new Ultra is the same as the older Ultra II. But keep in mind that SanDisk, and probably other manufacturers as well, inculde minor improvements in their current products without any fanfare, so it's possible that your new Ultra may be faster than the older Ultra II you're seeing reviews for.

Second, trying to get the fastest Class 4 card you can is splitting hairs. If you want to shoot RAW, you should really be using a Class 6 card at least. In my experience, SanDisk's cards are about equal to Lexar's, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:59 AM   #4

If you want fast, get a class 10 card from transcend about 24 dollar for a 8gb at newegg.com. And it is faster then any class 4 card
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:11 PM   #5

thanks all!
and, thanks Corkpix for the link correction

I started this thread after reading that one test showed the lexar plattinum II at write speeds of 10.7m per sec, that's not the max of 15....I'm sure they all want you to think they are the best. I wish sandisk published their actual speeds.

I also understand that my d5000 has a maximum write speed of 20mb per second no matter how fare beyond that the card may go

I doubt I will notice much of a difference, but it is always nice to know I got the fastest. I actually only need the speed for something next sat...

my tampa bay bucs are hosting fanfest at the stadium...I'd like to take some shots of the new cheerleaders who will be performing.

Then again in august the team will probably open up their practices to the public. It's a great oportunity to get some football shots up close on their practice field.

a few below from last august shot with a D40...although this year I will be using a nikon d5000...same lens...quantaray 18-200mm OS....wanted a little faster card as I will be shooting in raw this time
Attached Images

Last edited by gregg; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Turtle, I followed your advice after reading this thread and purchased a Transcend 8GB Class 10 card. It's not that fast. I was really surprised so I did some research and found a program that tests the write speeds of flash cards, my Transcend 8GB Class 10 tested at the write speed of 4.25 mb/s and the read speed of 13.6 mb/s. It's pretty crummy. New Egg refunded my money, I will be looking for a faster card.
wacokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:49 AM   #7

SanDisk Extreme and Lexar Professional are both good choices. I've tried Axiom, Kingston, PNY, and Transcend, and found them wanting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:51 AM   #8

I have had no issues with my Transcend cards over the year. I currently use a 16GB class 10 SDHC in my Fuji HS20 and it is clearly faster than an data class 6 card I have. I do not have the/a program to test its speed but it is fast enough to keep up with what I throw at the camera's shutter button. I have also used sandisc and Adata cards, although the Adata card developed a small issue with the lock switch on the side and sometimes ou have to play with it in order to get the card to read, as putting the card back in the camera can cause the card's lock switch to move.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacokid View Post
Turtle, I followed your advice after reading this thread and purchased a Transcend 8GB Class 10 card. It's not that fast. I was really surprised so I did some research and found a program that tests the write speeds of flash cards, my Transcend 8GB Class 10 tested at the write speed of 4.25 mb/s and the read speed of 13.6 mb/s. It's pretty crummy. New Egg refunded my money, I will be looking for a faster card.
What block size was the program doing the testing using? Smaller block sizes usually produce slower write times, no matter the card you're using.

The way a card is formatted can also make a difference. I'd use this tool if in doubt:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Here are some speed tests that include some of the Transcend Class 10 cards:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-sdc.html

They're pretty close to the speed of the Sandisk 30MB/Second SDHC cards in most card readers (although the Sandisk cards tend to test faster in Sandisk Card Readers).

With speeds as slow as you were seeing, I'd expect something else was going on like a virus scanner or firewall slowing your test down (which can happen with some of the malware protection products around), compatibility issue with your specific card reader, other programs running in the background stealing too much CPU time, etc..
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10

Hello Peoples>>>>
My local future shop has the Lexar Platinum ll 16gb class 10 sdhc 200X card for $17.99.
It also has a U with a 1 inside it in the corner, does this mean UHSC?
Would this be a good buy? Never used Lexar before.
I have a San Disk Ultra 16gb 30mb/s sdhc card in my D7000 right now, got it for like $9.99 on Boxing Day, shoulda got 2 man, ugh.
I plan to use the Lexar as a back up and the occasional video, any suggestions.
Get outside and Enjoy coz the weather is getting better.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Peace,
Pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote