Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:07 AM   #1

Default PROBLEM Compactflash card

Sorry my bad english because I am profound deaf ok. I need tranfer photo from memory reader to my hard drive. The photo was my honeymoon. But the problem is when I put compactflash card in memory reader and the red light on memory read was off. So my computer could not read my compactflash card at all. I have try photo rescue or data recovery but none of work. What shall I do next??
whizzbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:38 AM   #2

Hi,
might be your pc can't see your reader?
First check the card in your camera. If the camera can see your pictures, the card should be o.k.
Second, make sure the pc recognizes the reader. I assume, you use the USB-connection. Sometimes it doesn't work. So disconnect and connect again. If this doesn't work boot your pc with the reader connected and the card in the reader.
I hope this helps a littel bit.
Regards Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:08 AM   #3

what type of computer do you use? PC or Mac
what OS (operating system) is it running and version?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:37 PM   #4

You can also try removing your USB ports, and rebooting. This will re-install your USB ports.

As stated earlier, if you can take pictures and view the pictures with your camera, it probably is not a problem with the card.

You can also try taking the card to your local store that does digital photo printing. Then you can see if their computers can read the card.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 3:04 PM   #5

Removing your USB ports? Hold the fucking phone.

What he might have meant to say is that you should unplug the reader then restart your computer, plugging the reader back in when the computer finishes booting.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 3:27 PM   #6

Viper,

If you go into the Windows Device Manager and right click on your USB ports and select Uninstall, Windows will automatically re-install the ports when you re-boot. It is this little thing call "Plug and Play". It is a pretty standard practice these days with Windows.

No need to get drastic with the language.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 4:42 PM   #7

Red Viper- chill on the lack of acceptable language. rephrase your statement or remove it.

we have a conduct standard. please abide by it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:05 AM   #8

OK people, whizzbread doesn't know if he has a card problem or a reader installation issue so his first step should be to put the card back in his camera (BUT NOT TAKE ANY SHOTS) and see if the honeymoon shots can still be previewed in the camera.

If the shots can be previewed in the camera, perhaps he should try getting the camera usb link to work first, with the camera's transfer software. When the pics are safely stored then he can worry about getting his reader to work. I've assumed his camera has a usb link - but I know some new models don't.

If he can't preview pics in the camera, or gets a memory card error message then he's into Photorescue or recovery if that's possible. If he suspects the reader, he should first try another CF card which is known good and can preview shots in the camera. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 1:52 PM   #9

At the very least, the instructions should've been clearer. I didn't want the original poster to think he needed to break out a screwdriver to physically uninstall his USB ports.

As for the language restriction, check the posting rules. There's nothing in there about language. Therefore, I invite you to blow me.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 1:52 PM   #10

And the guy who told me to cool it on the language admitted in a private message that I was right about there being no restriction.