Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Class 6 vs. Class 10

hi folks.

purchasing a Kodak Z950.
it has HD video capability (tho i'm not sure i'd use that every time all the time).

is a high-speed SDhc Class 6 card good enough or would Class 10 make much of a difference?

i'm award the Z950 has a bit of a buffer/delay between shots 3 and 4 if trying to take several photos quickly. i can live with that. not sure if the card will help that problem or simply not matter. i dont mind stepping up to the Class 10 if it makes a difference, but wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if there'll be no discernable difference between class 6 and 10.

thanks!
TLF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:02 AM   #2

ok, might have found my own answer in an Amazon comment:

Quote:
For any point-and-shoot camera, the Sandisk Ultra II card is more than fast enough. The only situation you really need the Sandisk Extreme III card is when:
1. You have a digital SLR camera, AND
2. You shoot in burst mode (over 3fps), AND
3. You save images in RAW format (over 20MB each).
sound about right?
for my general uses perhaps a class 6 high speed card would be more than fine....
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3

I was trying to find a way to say this without offending the original author too much but I can't.

That's simply wrong.

For recording any video, you need at least a Class 6 card. Class 6 cards are the minimum speed you should use for recording video in any kind of camera. Class 6 means that the card can record data at a minimum of 6MB/s under ideal circumstances. If you capture still images as well as video, then the free space is likely to get fragmented, which slows down the data recording process, so a Class 10 card would be a better choice if you intend to record longer videos (2 minutes or longer.)

If all you'll do is record still images in continuous shooting mode, multiple large files (in a dSLR or not, RAW or not) a SanDisk Ultra will not be fast enough. You should use at least a Class 6 card, and if you want to record long videos as well, you should get a Class 10 card.

It sounds like your Z950 has a built-in buffer lag, so it's possible that anything faster than a Class 4 card might be overkill, but if the extra speed goes to waste in your current camera, it may be just fine in your next.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

thanks.

i will likely be shooting a mix of still and video. most videos will be under 2 minutes, but i'm sure many might be longer.

i was gonna just splurge on the SanDisk 4GB Extreme III - SDHC Class 10 High Performance memory card 30MB/s version $31.18

but then thought maybe the Sandisk 4 GB Extreme III SDHC Class 6 Card 20mb/s at about $22 should be good enough.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5

hmm, poking around this forum a little more....

the Transcend Class 10's on newegg are a much better deal.

i was gonna get 4MB, we'd been used to a 1GB with our old camera so 4 would be plenty. but 8 sure is tempting!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF18 View Post
hmm, poking around this forum a little more....

the Transcend Class 10's on newegg are a much better deal.

i was gonna get 4MB, we'd been used to a 1GB with our old camera so 4 would be plenty. but 8 sure is tempting!

I would go with the Transcend Class 10 card.. I got the 16 gig of newegg and have been very happy with it.. BEST bang for the buck !!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:19 PM   #7

ended up going with a Transcend Class 10 8gb.

got the Kodak Z950
extra battery
wall charger
8gb SDhc
case
a Michael Eric Dyson book
The Roots new cd

all for $200.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:48 PM   #8

My position? Since the price is so close, get a class 10 every time. If it's not necessary now, it'll be ok in your next camera/device.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
My position? Since the price is so close, get a class 10 every time. If it's not necessary now, it'll be ok in your next camera/device.
I have been researching SDHC cards since I bought my new Pentax K-x, which came a few days ago. The Kingston 2GB SD card I have now (actually 2 of them) had choppy 720p video in the 3 short clips I made, so I figured I need something better. I don't want to spring for the pricey stuff (Sandisk etc.) so have been looking to see what folks think of the cheaper stuff (e.g. Transcend, PQI, Adata, RiData, even Panasonic, etc.). Lots of people are saying that the class ratings on the cards don't tell the whole story. Some class 10 cards aren't outperforming class 6 cards, even from the same manufacturer.

On a hunch today, looking for deals, I hit FatWallet and looked for SDHC deals and found a code for $10 off on a PQI 8GB class 10 card. After tax it came to $18.65 (I'm in CA), free shipping. I've been looking enough to know that's a good deal, if it works OK. I saw one post in a forum saying PQI was pretty good. Seems from posts to be a cut above the lower quality stuff. Don't see any posts about their 8GB class 10 cards. I have an idea that maybe they do what the CPU manufacturers do and test the stuff that comes out of production for speed and rate and designate them accordingly. Or, maybe they are actually manufactured differently. However, what people are saying in the reviews suggests the former methodology may be at play. Just guessing, really.

Last edited by Muse; Jul 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote