Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 14, 2003, 2:49 AM   #1

Default Fastest SD Card

I just ordered a Minolta Dimage Z1. I now want to order a 256 MB SD card. I noticed that in Steve's review, he explicitly mentions that his tests were performed using the Lexar 32X 256 MB card.

In perusing pricewatch.com, it appears that I can get a wide variety of cards within a narrow price range. The Lexar 32X 256 MB SD card and the SanDisk Ultra II 256 MB card, to name two, are almost identical in price.

Which would be faster? It looks like the Ultra II is rated up to 10 MB/sec, so I assume that one? Are there other brands to consider? And would the memory speed be useful in this camera, or is the I/O limited by the camera itself?

Thanks for any help.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:01 AM   #2
Administrator

The Lexar and new Sandisk Ultra SD cards have the same transfer rate, they're both good choices.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:06 AM   #3

Blues - I don't have an answer to your question, but i do have a somewhat related question. Background: I also just purchased a Z1, and am looking for memory in the 64-128 size. I have heard/read that MMC memory is cheaper than SD memory. The Z1 will take either SD or MMC. Can anyone address if there is a reason for paying additional money for SD, if the camera will take MMC memory. In addition to Blue, I likewise am interested in recommendations on what brand of SD or MMC to purchase. - Thanks. Sonomablue.
sonomablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:08 PM   #4

Hi

Generally the SD card is more robust and has a higher transfer speed, I would recommend Lexar or Panasonic the latter being more expensive

Stuie
photosmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:44 PM   #5

Just to follow up to my own question -- I bought the SanDisk Ultra II 256 MB card; and I'm glad I did. I can *really* notice the difference in speed between this and the Panasonic SD card that came with the camera, when storing the picture. The red blinking light goes out *much* faster.

I got the 256 MB Ultra II for $75 + tax from bananapc.com (hope the commercial plug is OK; I have no relationship except as a happy customer). Since the lowest I saw for a "standard" 256 MB card was $65 at Costco, I think it's worth the extra $10. Plus, you get a lifetime warranty from SanDisk. I'm sold.

I'm sure any of the high speed cards (e.g. Lexar) would be just as fast. Don't know about other manufacturers' warranties.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:12 PM   #6

I am planning to buy a Minolta Dimage A1 camera and can't find where it will take the Sandisk Ultra 256MB card. Lexar does not include this camera on their list for their fast card. Anybody got any idea? Thanks.
GeorgeF73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:17 PM   #7

start thinking of the 512 card. if you used the highest res and shoot a lot your going to run out of storage FAST! the sandisk card will work just fine. don't expect outragouse xfr rates here it not that class of camera. at highest jpg res a 512MB card will give you approx 105 images. that is the equivelent of about 3 rolls of film holding 36 images.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote