Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Memory card suddenly becomes corrupted

Hope someone can help. I have a new Sanyo Xacti VPC-CCG20 camcorder with a Kingston 32GB SDHC class 6 memory card. It works fine but at random intervals suddenly the video I'm recording corrupts and is shown in the menu with a question mark. It refuses to play either on the camcorder or on the PC. At this point every subsequent video or photo becomes corrupted and the only solution is the format the card. As this has been happening after a few minutes recording it seems stupid that there are several hours of potential recording time that cannot be used.

I don't know whether this is a problem with the camcorder or the memory card.

Can anyone help?
Ribble Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:26 PM   #2

That sounds like you've got a counterfiet card. It may have a label that says 32GB, but it's actually only 8 (or 4!), and when you hit the physical limit, everything stops working.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That sounds like you've got a counterfiet card. It may have a label that says 32GB, but it's actually only 8 (or 4!), and when you hit the physical limit, everything stops working.
I checked the card on the PC and it confirmed 32GB.

The camera appears to record/take photos as normal, it's only when I look at the play menu when I see the question marks.
Attached Images

Ribble Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:22 PM   #4

When your camera formats a card, it doesn't actually check each location on the card to see if it's ok. It just rewites an empty File Allocation Table (FAT) to the card. The SD Card Assocuation has a Formatter that actually writes to every location on the card. If there's nothing of value on your card now, download the Formatter and use it to format the card. If you've got a counterfiet card, this will tell you.

BTW, when you've sucessfully formatted the card, you'll want to format it again in the camera, so it can create the folders and other things it will expect to see when it writes photos and videos to it.

If all goes well, try it again. It's possible that the Formatter may solve the problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5

I had a similar problem...
I was taking picture with very low battery and suddenly my camera switched off.
After that my card became unaccessible, I tried several recovery softwares found over the web, none could recover anything. Windows was indicating 0 bytes of space and requiring to format the card.

After some time investigating the issue, I found http://recoverfab.com

I sent them my memory and they did an excellent job recovering all my content stored there.
cbaldacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:56 AM   #6

I'd pop a different card in the camcorder to see if it behaves similarly.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote