Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:10 PM   #1

Default 2 x 256mb or 1 x 512mb?

I have the Canon S400, and am looking to buy a new memory card... Which would be "best": Two 256mb cards or a single 512mb card??

(Please suggest one or the other and explain WHY...)

Thank you for your suggestions?
KandieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:27 PM   #2

I've seen two schools of thought on this matter. One camp says that you need the largest memory cards so that you don't have to change cards frequently. The other camp argues that you are less likely to lose important pictures if a card fails by having several smaller memory cards. I would imagine it depends on the type of photographer you are. If you're the type that takes many pictures on one outing, then larger memory may be best. If you only take a few pictures, then smaller. Personally, I think it's personal choice. Buying 2 256 meg cards at the same time would cost more than buying 1 512M card, but spacing them out over time may fit your budget better.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:21 AM   #3

Another point here is that camera Mpix and file sizes are still going up. So the next camera you buy, if compatible with your media format, will benefit if you buy the larger memory unit size now. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:47 PM   #4

Have you also considered movie recording directly to memory card. If 512 you can record larger movie than 256. recording on 2 256 cardsh will result in a split movie and also until you change the memory cards, you loose action.

not much advantages of having 2 cards I think
marz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:51 PM   #5

Well according the the specifications, I can fit 735secs on a 256mb card (S400)... 12 minutes is PLENTY.
KandieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:42 AM   #6

Default I recommend the two 256 MB cards....

I have a canon A80 and at the highest quality settings I get 123 images, at the lowest quality I get 2000+ images. I like to shoot at the highest quality settings just in case I snap a really good shot and want to blow it up. I personaly cant imagine myself needing a single card that can take more than 123 pics, and although the CF cards are bigger than some of the other media on the market they are not so big and cumbersome that taking along a second card would be a burden. I have read accounts where people have complained (and rightfully so) that there cards for what ever reason stoped working, got corrupted, or got damaged. Having the spare 256 card would not only give you extra storage space but it adds insurance while you are out taking pictures that should your main card go bust you have a replacement on hand.

BTW...I just read the packaging that came with my card and the Sandisk Cards have a 5 year waranty should they stop working for any reason ouside of abuse.
greenfieldja is offline   Reply With Quote