Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 10, 2002, 1:06 AM   #1

Default Smart Media Label

The smart media comes with little labels that fold over the edge like floppy disk labels.

If you use them, you obscure the write protect circle and the size identifier.

What does everyone do for labels. Just use them, cut them down, use nothing? I got three cards so I probably need to label them somehow.

I doubt the write protect is a useful feature so I don't care about that.
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2002, 8:20 AM   #2
NHL

SM normally has a round 'dot' label, one can also stick on to write protect. Is that the one you're talking about or the rectangular label only?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 8:32 AM   #3

I have 150 VHS tapes, was I suppose to use the labels...Tonight mystry movie is...

I think the labels would be important if you are also using in non camera devices to identify different formatted cards.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 12:35 AM   #4

The only reason I care is that I will have multiple cards full of pictures for at least a day before getting to a place to download. I've got a week trip planned.

I will make one dive, remove the card in the camera, put in the second card and do a second dive. It would be useful to label the cards since they are of identical manufacture. THe last thing I want to do is get ready to dive and find out the wrong card is in the camera.

Other than that, it really doesn't matter.

Interestingly, the original Olympus card has an embossed area that matches the size of the supplied label just like a floppy disk.

The MR. Flash cards embossed area does not. The labels are the same size. If I place the label on the Mr. Flash cards, it will extend onto the chip. I guess thats what I'll do.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 1:55 AM   #5

Michael, here's a simple suggestion: just use 1 sticker, then use a highlighter or marker to mark different sections on it in little squares and cut them out and stick these little squares unto the cards. So you won't have cards with names but rather with colours: so you use the yellow card, the red card, the blue card, the white card (you could even use a printer and print a number on the "mini" labels 1-9).

It's not the most elegant solution, but it is cheap. And it's doable, instead of using the full size of the sticker.
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 11:36 AM   #6

Thats not as in-elegant as it sounds. If it works for you, thats fine. My only concern would be makeing sure that the little square doesn't get rubbed off inside the camera slot.

I was thinking maybe a dot from a paint pen.

I will probably just put the full sticker on at least one card.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 5:26 PM   #7

Default This is what I do...

I know what you mean about the labels. I use the labels by having the label wrap around to the back. It doesn't cover the "write protect" or the "chip" area by allowing half the sticker on the front and half on the back.

It works for me so far!

Hope this helps.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote