Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 25, 2003, 4:06 PM   #1

Default Missing bytes

I just got a SanDisk 512 MB Memory Stick Pro for Christmas. I'm glad to have it, but I'm somewhat disappointed by its capacity. I understand how hard drive and flash memory manufacturers "cheat" by listing the sizes of their devices using 1000 bytes as a megabyte, resulting in the computer (which considers 1024 bytes to be a megabyte) showing the device as having less capacity. On my smaller memory sticks, the number of bytes is what I'd expect: 64,000 bytes on a 64 MB stick, etc. But, on my new 512, the number of bytes is far less than it should be. My computer sees the stick as only having 490,000 bytes of total capacity! It should be 512,000. This seems like a rip-off. I know the file system takes up some space, but I'm talking about the total capacity of the card, not the space left after the formatting and the pictures. It's 22,000 bytes less than it should be.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2003, 4:57 PM   #2

..............but I'm talking about the total capacity of the card, not the space left after the formatting and the pictures. It's 22,000 bytes less than it should be..............

You can easily get confused, even with your own terminology!! Total capacity to me is its PHYSICAL capacity, that's how many little individual memory cells it has before low level formatting by the manufacturer. Then somebody adds a Disc Operating System ( your camera High level format) and cards may be using some space for their processor cache and Card Information Structure tables. In addition, the operating system and its structure wastes space. The bigger the cards stated capacity formatting under a DOS, the more space will be wasted.

How does the card maker know whether you are storing lots of small files in say low res shot mode - or one big continuous movie. It makes a difference in the amount of real space you have to work with. You'll find this a more interesting point to follow since it changes what you think might be the total capacity in picture terms - but don't forget JPEG compression can create variable file sizes, so estimated shot capacity on a clean card will be less accurate than on a nearly full card. Merry Christmas, VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 5:34 PM   #3
NHL

Vox

You're forgetting the hidden areas used for "wear leveling" in flash structures again...

Try to format a 512Mb (or your 1G) Microdrive... You'll get the full 512Mb (or in your case the full 1G)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 6:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, but you didn't really answer my question. What I want to know is why this memory stick has so much less space than it's supposed to. There is a huge difference between the 512 MB the stick is supposed to have and the 468 it actually does have. 62 MB on a 64 MB card is 97% of the advertised capacity. 468 MB on a 512 MB card is only 91%. The difference in capacity isn't proportionally the same on the larger stick.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if there is something wrong with my 512 MS Pro (like that it's a cheap "knockoff"), or if there are differences in capacity between the Sony, SanDisk, and Lexar versions. If all 512 MB MS Pros have only 468 MB of usable space, then I'm happy (even though I don't think they should advertise them as having so much more than their true capacity).
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 6:57 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
If all 512 MB MS Pros have only 468 MB of usable space, then I'm happy (even though I don't think they should advertise them as having so much more than their true capacity).
I can't speak for MemoryStick, but my CF's 1G Lexar Pro WA's show only as 982Mb after formatting, whereas my 1G Microdrives show truly 1G!

I guess 468MB is closed enough... for 512MB
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...15443&start=25
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote