Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Default Memory Card Error - Pls help!

My sdhc card cannot be detected by my sdhc reader and when I put it into my camera, it gives me a memory card error! Is there any way to retrieve the photos? They are of my son's first birthday and I am really desperate to get them back!! Can anyone advice me what I should do...

Thanks for reading this!
rainebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:27 AM   #2

I haven't had to do it myself but there are free utilities available to recover data
from corrupted memory cards...

Here's what I found with a quick google:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Hope that helps...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:16 AM   #3
Administrator

See this sticky post at the top of the threads list in this forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ory-cards.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:03 PM   #4

Hi!

Thanks for the replies! I've tried PhotoRec and many other softwares that were suggested by google but the programs can't seem to recognise my sd card. (Under my computer, it says please insert a disk into removable disk)
Both the pc and camera can't read the card! Help pls? Anyone?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:17 PM   #5

I'd try a partitioning program, such as EASEUS. If that can't detect the card either I think your chances of getting anything off it are slim. All the normal programs for retrieving deleted files presuppose that the card can actually be detected.

One possibility - try the card in another PC (I presume you're using a Windows machine) and in a Mac. Also try leaving the card in the camera and connecting that to the computer by cable. And try using a different SD-USB adapter - it may be that which is at fault.

What is the card and what happened before the failure?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:34 PM   #6

I've just thought of something else you can try - it's worked for me. Assuming you're using a Windows computer.

However and wherever you connect the card to your computer, connect something else that works and see what drive letter is assigned by Windows - you'll find that in File Explorer or whatever they're now calling it. Let's call that drive letter X here. Then remove that item (having made sure to make it safe to remove first) and reconnect the faulty card. Even if File Explorer doesn't report it, does the computer make the sound of a device being plugged in? If it doesn't then again I think you've had it, but if it does yet still doesn't report it then do the following. Go to the Start menu, then All programs, then Accessories. Find the Command Prompt (may be called the DOS prompt) and start it. In the black screen that results wait for the prompt ">" and type in

chkdsk X: /f
(for X substitute the drive letter you saw above)

If it gives an error message then I'm afraid you're snookered. But if it starts displaying a report then wait until it has finished (you'll be back at ">") and exit the command prompt window. You should then find the card will be recognised by File Explorer.

Before closing the Command Prompt window read the report to see if it reports any errors other than file errors. File errors are most usually caused by user error, removing a card whilst data is still being written to is being the most common. They aren't of long-term concern. But if it reports any other errors, such as sector ones, the card is not much longer for this world and you should replace it.

Last edited by peterbj7; Nov 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I tried EASEUS but like the other softwares I tried, none are able to detect the card. I have tried other cards on the reader and it is able to detect them - so I know it can't be the reader. I have also tried reading this card on another PC and a Mac but sadly none are able to read it as well. The camera gives me a memory card error - Pls check card message. Plugging the camera into the pc also doesn't work

The card was untouched for a couple of months as I left it in my drawer thinking I had already backed it up - silly me backed up the wrong card twice The card has never been reused. My only thought was that I may have pulled out the reader without clicking safely remove hardware option the last time it was accessed.

The reader does make a sound when I plug it in and the light comes on and stays on but when I go to my computer, it shows the pls insert a disk into removable drive message.

When I run chkdsk it says cannot open volume for direct access.

Sigh... I hate to think that the card is gone as it means losing 4 1/2 months of my son's photos - that'll teach me to backup in the future but it's a super hard lesson ((
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:58 AM   #8

I hope someone else can come up with something you haven't tried, but I'm afraid I'm now stumped. Did you try Photorec?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:57 AM   #9

Yes I did... Sigh I really hope so too
I'm kicking myself for not checking the backup!

Thanks for your help though... truly appreciate the effort!!