Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:15 PM   #1

Default Sandisk questions...

whats the difference between the sandisk ultra SDHC and sandisk extreme SDHC and sandisk extreme III SDHC?

is there one better for certain cameras? for my wifes little canon sd1400 is, i got her a sandisk extreme 4gb card, and she has filled it already every time she uses it to take HD video of the girls......so i was thinking of getting a larger size....like a 16gb maybe so she can at least get longer HD videos, and still take pics before downloading every day LOL

Last edited by bryman; Nov 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM.
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:44 PM   #2

sandisk has muddied the waters by using proprietary descriptions like "extreme". i just tried to read a bit to get a handle on it and , to me, it comes down to class. get a class 10. don't worry about the rest unless you have some special knowledge. your camera supports sdxc so you have a great upgrade path if you find the need.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:56 PM   #3

that was what i was thinking.....in my S5 IS i have a lexar class 6 and have never had a problem with it.....their website shows class 10 sdhc card for almost $60.00 cheaper per size across the board....so i was looking at their class 10 16gb........only difference i see is sandisk extreme is 30MB/s transfer speed and the lexar is 20MB/s transfer speed. have no idea if ill even see that speed difference?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
that was what i was thinking.....in my S5 IS i have a lexar class 6 and have never had a problem with it.....their website shows class 10 sdhc card for almost $60.00 cheaper per size across the board....so i was looking at their class 10 16gb........only difference i see is sandisk extreme is 30MB/s transfer speed and the lexar is 20MB/s transfer speed. have no idea if ill even see that speed difference?
those are read speeds. unrelated to write. some cards will write faster than others but, for sure, class 10s will write continuous at 10MB/sec. That's enough for most application. if you had a great dslr, shooting raw, you might need to investigate other cards (and even types), but you don't.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:09 PM   #5

thats actually good to know thanks a lot frank!! maybe i can save some $$ and go with something still class 10 but less fast LOL