Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:55 PM   #21

How many times have you been using this (these) re-writable disc's...? Regardless of
what they claim re-writables fail quite often...

Do you have any fresh disc's to try...?
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:48 PM   #22

Jim C and Wizzard0003,
Phew!! what a performance.
To answer your questions, I was using a TDK -RW that I had used once before.My system is Windows XP.The photo's I was using were j.pegs.
What I found was that the first burn I did with img was fine, then I used AVS to erase and burn some different pics onto the same disc. When I put the disc into my pc it wouldn't play it or eject it and I got a blue warning tell me that windows had shut down,telling me to uninstall recent installations. So I had to reboot.I uninstalled IMG/AVS, then tried playing some old disc's, it would play CD-Rs but not DVD-RWs anymore. So I turned off my firewall and disabled my AVG residents shield. Now I could play my old DVD-RWs but not Img/AVS one. So I reinstalled IMG and burnt a brand new DVD-RW, it still wouldn't play it, because just as it's almost finished verifying it, a warning comes up saying "there has been an error and the burn failed" this happened twice.
So I went back with the same disc (the new one) and burnt some photo's onto it with my original Sonic burner and it plays it but I have to have the R/Shield and firewall off.
So I'm back to square one, it would appear that the new security package is very sensitive to what I'm doing.
I appreciate all your help and realise that I'm out of my depth with pc's but it keeps my brain working.:-)
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:42 PM   #23
Administrator

Yea... you may want to try a few different Antivirus packages. A Quick google search found a number posts from users describing burn times around 4 or 5 times as long with AVG enabled, with more than one burning program.

Apparently, it's scanning everything on access, when saving files, etc.; and is probably eating a lot of your PC's resources.

I also found posts indicating the same issues with some other Antivirus products when burning discs.

Interestingly, it looks like AVG does have relatively fast scanning speeds. But, I'd probably give Avira Antivir a spin to see how it behaves. It's got even faster scanning speeds and has a *much* higher malware detection rate compared to AVG.

For example, in the last AV Comparatives test (one of the few I'd trust), AVG only found 98.3% of the samples in their test bed (missing many thousands of their samples, which represents only a tiny subset of malware in the wild). Avira is not perfect either (even though it found 99.8%), but it's a lot better than most.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...od_aug2010.pdf

Frankly, if you've been using AVG for a while, it would probably be a good idea to scan with a few other products anyway to see if it's missed any malware. I've been surprised at how much malware Avira has found when rescanning older drives that were in PCs running a fully updated version of AVG.

Note that Avira does have some ability to "fine tune" what it does and doesn't scan, and one of the options is to ignore files when moving them to different storage (i.e., not to rescan them). But, I don't know if that applies to the way a CD burner handles them. You can also configure file types you want it to scan via an extension list.

jpeg files are scanned by default (because there have been cases of specially crafted jpeg files containing malware that cause viewer crashes so that they can insert code). But, that kind of malware is relatively rare, and you could always disable scanning them if it also has an issue with your machine.

Avira has a free version you can get here (button on the left side of the page):

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

If you're not using the paid version of AVG, I'd probably uninstall it completely so that it doesn't interfere with a different malware scanner (as sometimes, they can conflict with each other).

Then, install the free version of Avira Antivir and let it do a complete scan to check for any malware that AVG may have been missing (which could also be eating up some of your PC's resources).

I'd also suggest downloading the free version of Malwarebytes and let it scan your PC. I'd scan it from safe mode (press F8 while your PC is booting to get into Windows Safe Mode). That way, malware is less likely to be hiding from scanners. You can get it from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Another thing I'd suggest doing if you've been running XP for a long time (especially if AVG has been your only protection) is using a Linux based scanner to scan your machine.

That way, you're booting a different operating system so that you're not loading anything from a potentially compromised drive. I'd try Dr. Web first, as it's pretty good with root kits and boot sector type malware that can evade scanners running from inside Windows.

http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/?lng=en

Basically, download the .iso file you'll see in the folder that comes up. Then, use something like iso recorder to burn the iso to CD. After you install isorecorder, when you "right click" on the downloaded .iso file from windows explorer (go to the folder you saved the Dr. Web .iso file to using "My Computer" and right click on the .iso file), you'll see a new menu choice labeled "Copy Image to CD/DVD" that can burn the .iso file to CD. You can get the free isorecorder from here:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then, after you burn the Dr. Web .iso to CD, reboot your PC with the CD inserted. If it doesn't boot into the CD, you may need to go into your PC's BIOS setup and change the boot order so that it looks to the CD first.

Avira has the same type of thing (Linux Live CD version). Basically, you're bypassing Windows entirely when you boot into a Linux Live CD. So, you can scan and disinfect the Windows drive without the malware being loaded and able to evade the scans (since you're booting into an operating system running from CD and you're not running anything from the compromised drive). Here's where you can get the .iso file for the Avira CD (but, I'd also use the Dr.Web live CD, as it's pretty good with root kits).

http://dlpro.antivir.com/package/res...-common-en.iso

I use Avira has my primary virus protection when running Windows, since it's detection rate is much higher than most (especially when dealing with new/unknown malware if you leave it's heuristics features on their highest settings). But, I also run the free version of Malwarebytes periodically (as well as the free version of Superantispyware); and scan my drives using Linux Live CDs with malware scanners, too (as in Avira and Dr.Web Live CDs I mentioned).

In addition, I use the noscript extension for Firefox. Get it here:

http://noscript.net/

I also use supplementary protection like Threatfire (free), and Finjin (also free).

http://www.threatfire.com/

http://securebrowsing.finjan.com/

But, on an older PC, you'd probably end up eating a lot of resources trying to run as much protection as I normally do (although the non resident scanners like the free version of Malwarebytes won't add any overhead, since they're not normally running until you load them to perform a scan).

I also try to run any new software I want to install through http://www.virustotal.com (to check it with multiple malware scanners before installing it), as an added layer of protection.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:58 PM   #24
Administrator

P.S.

Of course, it's a good idea to make sure you've got XP fully patched with Microsoft updates (as a lot of new vulnerabilities are found for it on a regular basis). Ditto for your drivers, internet browsers, plugins like Adobe Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, etc.

There are lots of "bad guys" taking advantage of unpatched systems all the time, with more and more "drive by" type malware that lets you become infected, simply by visiting a compromised web page (and often, without you even knowing your machine has been compromised).

XP doesn't have the best "track record" as being a secure Operating System. ;-)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:01 PM   #25

Thanks for all that info Jim,
I didn't mention that I had Zone Alarm and Spybot running as well as AVG. I used to have Norton (it came installed on the pc) then I purchased each year after but a friend put me onto AVG, so I downloaded the free version in 2009 then each years version until now the 2011 about three weeks ago. I've only had a computer from when I bought my first digital camera 2005 my 70th birthday present.
Here I am still struggling :-)
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:06 PM   #26
Administrator

None of them are perfect. That's one reason I use so many layers of protection (including scanning my Windows partitions from Linux, so that I'm not loading anything from a potentially compromised operating system when scanning, since some root kits can easily evade most scanners).

One problem is that the amount of new malware being created is staggering (with some vendors seeing more new malware in 2009 alone, compared to the past 20 years combined). Some antivirus vendors are now seeing around 60,000 *new malware strains* per day. So, the anti-virus companies just can't keep up with it. Malware writers are using polymorphic and metamorphic tecniques, so that malware modifies itself and reencrypts the payloads to evade signature based detection, flooding the net with new strains so as to keep ahead of what scanners can reliably detect.

Not long ago, most malware was just a nuisance. Now, it's big business (stealing login info, account numbers, etc.); and often, legit web sites are where you get it from (because they've been hacked into). Fun.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:52 AM   #27

Deadshot;
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I also use AVG free edition, and haven't had much in the way of problems with the latest version. There is the ability to set up exceptions to the resident shield. You could except a folder you use to queue files to be burned, and possibly eliminate that as a nuisance. There is also the option to temporarily disable AVG (without uninstalling) while you do the burning. Look under Tools>advanced settings.
I use Nero for burning DVDs, it came packaged with the burner. Works well with no issues regarding AVG or other anti-spyware programs I use.
Other DVD burning programs can be found at MajorGeeks.com , a good source for many freeware and shareware programs, that are tested by the site for malware. Deepburner has a free edition, and is highly regarded.
Good luck.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Deadshot;
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I also use AVG free edition, and haven't had much in the way of problems with the latest version. There is the ability to set up exceptions to the resident shield. You could except a folder you use to queue files to be burned, and possibly eliminate that as a nuisance. There is also the option to temporarily disable AVG (without uninstalling) while you do the burning. Look under Tools>advanced settings.
I use Nero for burning DVDs, it came packaged with the burner. Works well with no issues regarding AVG or other anti-spyware programs I use.
Other DVD burning programs can be found at MajorGeeks.com , a good source for many freeware and shareware programs, that are tested by the site for malware. Deepburner has a free edition, and is highly regarded.
Good luck.

brian
Thanks for that !
with all the help here how can I go wrong??
Again, thanks all of you for the help.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod