Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 26, 2003, 3:55 PM   #1

Default Card heats dramatically

Hi all,

I have a DiMAGE 7i, and I use mostly a 256MB CF card 'PQI' Brand.

Sometimes the camera just stops working (the writing on memory led stays on...) and that happens usually after I take alot of pictures, I take the CF card out and it's REALLY hot.

Is this normal? can it get really hot and stop working?

Thanks alot.
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 4:14 PM   #2

The camera will not let you take any more pics when the internal buffer is full. The buffer has to empty before more pictures can be taken. This is a normal operation. You did not take the card out while the camera was trying to write? What is your definition of hot?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 4:34 PM   #3

Hmmm,

I don't know how to defy how hot it was, but I thought maybe it's a problem cause it seemed too hot to me...

About the buffer I know, but how long does it take to empty it?!

The first couple of times it happened, after a few minutes I took the battaries out and then placed them in again, but then the problem proceeded and I took the card out and it was really hot- I thought it might be the card.

Probably it was my mistake and it just takes really long to empty the buffer...
Old Dec 26, 2003, 5:19 PM   #4

My Minolta S414 heats up cards a lot - not because of the card, but because the've parked the card slot right alongside the battery pack! Was the same design mentality used for the 7i?

I use the lcd less often now. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 5:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
My Minolta S414 heats up cards a lot - not because of the card, but because the've parked the card slot right alongside the battery pack! Was the same design mentality used for the 7i?

I use the lcd less often now. VOX
for a matter of fact neither the LCD nor the battaries are close to the card (all relatively...)
Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:16 PM   #6

I just tried filling a 256 Meg card in my card reader. After the write had finished, took it out and it didn't feel hot to me. The last time I opened up a CF card (a Sandisk) to explore it, the metal sleeve offered electrostatic protection and was connected to the ground pin- but there didn't appear to be any thermal contact with the chips.

If yours is hot on the outer jacket, the card was like the one I dismantled and air is such a poor conductor, whatever is inside must be cooking a bit then? Can you shoot in continuous movie mode to 'card full' and get the same problem?

It would be interesting to measure the average current drain from the batteries during memory writes. If as you say, there are no hot camera components near the flash card (not even a regulator?) Then heat produced = bat power out. Is this an ultra fast card? What happens with another card of the same or lower speed? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:32 AM   #7

Ok,

I think you are on to something, cause I think this card really drains my battary life, something is defective.

That's why i'm just about to buy a new card.

This PQI 256MB CF card doesn't say anything on it, I think it's the lowes't speed possible.
I'm going to buy a 12x Lexar card since gibsonpd3620 told me that's the highes't speed card my camera will be able to produce all the speed from.

When i'll have my new card I will know if the this one i'm using now is defective...