Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:24 PM   #1

Default New Camera/New SDHC Card

I am new to digital photograpy and just got a new Canon Rebel T2i as a Christmas gift. I picked up a San Disk SDHC card 4 GB because it was on sale. Should I have gotten one with more memory? Is there anything I need to do to the card before taking pictures? I have been skimming through various posts and see that there are differences in cards such as "Class". What does that mean?

Last edited by CBeck; Dec 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM.
CBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:57 PM   #2

You should format it IN the camera. There will be a little letter C on the face with a number in it. If it's a 10, you're current. anything less is slower. The number indicates continuous WRITE speed in MB/sec. Card manufacturers always advertise READ speed which is not so important in this application.

Mostly it won't matter but video or raw burst might be better with a class 10. that's what your next card should be. more GB is better to a point. 16GB will probably hold all you want to in one session. realize that the more you have saved ONLY on the card, the more you have to lose. that's why most recommend using 8GB or so when on vacation trips. switching cards will minimize your losses if something happens to one.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3

Class 10 is the fastest and class 2 is the slowest. I recommend 2x 8GB class 6 cards as a minimum. Get more cards as needed for vacation and normal day to day shooting (if you are pro or shoot a lot of sports etc) If you get a class 10 card thats even better but I find for me a class 6 card works well but a class 4 card is too slow....... I find that 4GB cards for me cut it way too close for comfort and since I am breaking news, firer rescue photographer I like to be able to shoot as long as needed without running out so an 8GB card gives that comfort.

Also remember the higher the mega-pixel of the camera, the larger the images will be. On a 4GB card you will get more 10MP images than 14MP so that should factor into what size card you use.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:06 AM   #4

I see now why the card that I purchased was priced for $9.99. Office Depot has a SanDisk 16GB for $39.99 reg. $79.99. I'll have to go look and see what it says on the face.

Wow, I really didn't know what I was getting into when I chose this new camera. lol.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:53 AM   #5

Transcend is another well-thought of brand. Sandisk is usually at the high end of the price scale. here's a us link for the transcend:
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-16GB...1985370&sr=1-1
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:37 PM   #6

I am truly grateful for all the information given. I wish the manual gave better recommendations on which card to purchase for newbies like me because it only states SD/SDHC or SDHX. I'm starting to think maybe I should have stayed with the P&S cameras because I'm way over my head. lol. It was mentioned somewhere to purchase more than one in case of failure. How should these be stored? Are there specific boxes for them?

Last edited by CBeck; Dec 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:13 PM   #7

Don't give the card too much thought. one will be plenty for a long time. if you're shooting jpg (which i think you are) and not doing too much video, just copy the mew stuff to your pc at the end of each session and reformat the card. there's no real storage requirements for the spare card. it will come in a little case, just put it in your camera bag. it'll be fine.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:59 PM   #8

Wow! I just went shopping for a memory card locally and couldn't find a card in the 10 class for less than $75 at BestBuy. Not only that, it was the only place I could find it.

Frank-in-Toronto I really, really appreciate your help with the memory card. I'm going to have my husband order 2 of Transcend cards. While he's at it, I'm going to look for extra batteries as well.

I am hoping I will receive everything before I go on vacation on the 20th.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:13 PM   #9
Administrator

Note that Newegg.com also has them at the same price ($26.99 with free shipping for a 16GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC card) . I usually use newegg.com for my memory cards and computer related accessories. But, amazon.com is also a great choice, provided you're ordering directly from amazon.com, and not one of the merchants selling there (as I've seen counterfeit cards being shown by some of the merchants listing items on amazon.com before). Here are the Transcend Class 10 cards at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ass+10&x=0&y=0
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:34 PM   #10

Thanks for the referals gentlemen. I already ordered the memory cards directly from Amazon. Now I need to pick up an extra battery.