Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:12 PM   #1

Default New Fuji HS10, new memory card -card error

Hi,

totally new here. I just got a new Fuji HS10 and have bought a Sandisk Extreme 8gb SDHC card for it online (this card is recommended) I just put the card in and the screen showed "CARD ERROR". I have taken the card out.

Looking at the error code in the manual it says

1. "The memory card is not formatted for use in the camera"
2. "the memory card is damaged"
3. "incompatible memory card"
4. "camera malfunction"

solutions -

1. format the memory card
2. clean the card/replace the card
3. use compatible card
4. contact fuji dealer

I think it must be either 1 or 2 that is the problem??

I didn't know you had to format a new card - do you? If so, how do I do it?

If the card I've bought is damaged will it damage the camera if I try to use it?

Also, looking in the manual it says -

"SD cards can be locked, making it impossible to format the card or to record or delete images. Before inserting an SD card, slide the write protect switch to the "unprotect" position.

Is this applicable to an SDHC card too? Where is the write protect switch?
Are they saying it's on the card? Will this cause CARD ERROR to appear?

Phew!! I had a Fuji s9600 before with a CF card - totally simple, none of this kind of problem, just put it in and go!!

Can someone please help?

Many thanks!
struggling artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:35 PM   #2
Administrator

Not all cards have a lock/unlock switch. But, some do. If you look at this Sandisk card, you'll see it (note where it's got a down arrow that says lock on the face of the card, with the switch on the edge of the card).

http://www.sandisk.com/products/imag...me-sdhc-cards-

Basically, make sure it's in the opposite direction (away from where it says lock) if you want to be able to write to the card.

BTW, they usually are pre-formatted. But, personally, I always reformat my memory cards prior to *every* reuse using the camera's menu choice for format, no exceptions. That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format. Reformatting one is usually just as fast or faster as deleting the images anyway.

I'd plug it in and unplug it a few times, too (as sometimes with a brand new camera, you can have a bit of oxidation on contacts that will go away with use, since the friction of plugging a card in and out will help to clean the contacts).

If it won't format with it in the unlocked position (and I'd use the camera's menu choice for format instead of a PC), then you may have a defective card.

Have you tried it in a card reader or another device that is SDHC compatible?

If the camera can't format it using it's menu choice for format, here's a format utility you can try for SDHC cards if you have a card reader that's SDHC compatible (and some readers won't work with SDHC cards, even though they work with SD Cards).

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

If it won't format with either the camera or another device that's SDHC compatible (card reader, etc.), then it may be defective. It may also be a counterfeit card (as Sandisk cards are the most frequently counterfeited, and it's not uncommon for them to be defective).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:54 PM   #3

Thanks a lot jim. I will try the things you suggest. I haven't tried it in a memory card reader - literally just got it and tried it in the camera. Will anything happen in a card reader if it's never been used? I do hope it's not counterfeit!! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:45 PM   #4

Check the memory card protection lock/unlock switch I have had that error before on my HS10 when trying to take picture and that was the problem.

Any other HS10 problems feel free to PM me I;ve taken roughly 26,000 pictures with mine.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:43 AM   #5

Hi guys, I'm glad to say it is now working - did the unlock thing and put the card in a couple of times and it's ok. Phew!

Dave, thanks so much for the kind offer to PM you with my HS10 questions, I am sure there will be many, so I'll appreciate your help. Off to try the camera out now
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:00 AM   #6

Default About memory error

Choose higher class of memory! I choose 16GB with 10 class, and it work well

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggling artist View Post
Hi,

totally new here. I just got a new Fuji HS10 and have bought a Sandisk Extreme 8gb SDHC card for it online (this card is recommended) I just put the card in and the screen showed "CARD ERROR". I have taken the card out.

4. "camera malfunction"

solutions -

3. use compatible card
4. contact fuji dealer

If the card I've bought is damaged will it damage the camera if I try to use it?

"SD cards can be locked, making it impossible to format the card or to record or delete images. Before inserting an SD card, slide the write protect switch to the "unprotect" position.

Phew!! I had a Fuji s9600 before with a CF card - totally simple, none of this kind of problem, just put it in and go!!

Can someone please help?

Many thanks!
fadlypwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:45 AM   #7

hello,
i jus read all ur posts.. evn m having the same prob..i have a fujifilm J25 camera..with scandisk SD card 4GB..
when i try to format the memory card from the computer it says it cannot format..

i did import all the files.. but now i want to delete the photos in the camera so i can take other photos..but when i insert the memory card into the camera it says !CARD ERROR,i cant evn delete the photos thru the camera it says !READ ERROR and i have to shut it off sometimes it hangs.. but the card's memory is full n i tried to erase after importing but evn that takes so much time but it doesnt evn erase and says that file error cant delete ..

if i insert the card via a card reader it says.. write protection and cannot write..i tried to put a tape near the lock but evn that dint work..
i really dont know wat to do..
please reply.. i need get the card workin so i can take more photos plz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggling artist View Post
Hi,

4. "camera malfunction"

solutions -

3. use compatible card
4. contact fuji dealer

Can someone please help?

Many thanks!
troubledwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:18 AM   #8

I'd get a new card instead of trying to get the ard to work so you can put more pictures on it. Cards are very cheap these days and you can get a 16GB SDHC class 10 for under $30. The only reason I would spend the time to get it fixed is if you have loads of pictures on it you need to get off, otherwise I wouldn't waste the time.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:38 PM   #9

hello,
i jus read all ur posts.. evn m having the same prob..i have a fujifilm J25 camera..with scandisk SD card 4GB..
when i try to format the memory card from the computer it says it cannot format..

i did import all the files.. but now i want to delete the photos in the camera so i can take other photos..but when i insert the memory card into the camera it says !CARD ERROR,i cant evn delete the photos thru the camera it says !READ ERROR and i have to shut it off sometimes it hangs.. but the card's memory is full n i tried to erase after importing but evn that takes so much time but it doesnt evn erase and says that file error cant delete ..

if i insert the card via a card reader it says.. write protection and cannot write..i tried to put a tape near the lock but evn that dint work..
i really dont know wat to do..
please reply.. i need get the card workin so i can take more photos plz..
troubledwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:52 PM   #10
Administrator

Try formatting using this utility (you'll see a download link at the bottom of the page):

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

If that doesn't work. I'd buy another card. They're very inexpensive. Here are some Class 10 cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=Class%2010
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote