Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:25 PM   #1

Default Card Reader capacity max question

I have a fairly new (2008) XP Pro system, SP3, Abit Mobo. The system came with a built-in mem card reader that does several formats. I use SD cards in my Nikons. I bought an 8 gB card and put some pix on it. Plugged the card into the reader. Here's what happens:

The card goes in - fits OK.
If I have Windows Explorer open, inserting the card immediate "kills" the five USB devices that Windows calls drives in the left hand panel.
The 8gB card never shows up.

---but---

If I stick in a 1gB card
All is well (with the "I" drive now showing)
and I can read and write to "I".
(Note inserting the card kills the other "drives" until the card is removed. Then, they all re-appear. I always use Windows to gracefully dismount the USB device. I believe this behavior is expected. )

---and---

If I stick in a 2gB card...
All is still well
and I can read or write to "I".
(Note inserting the card kills the other "drives" until the card is removed. Then, they all re-appear. I always use Windows to gracefully dismount the USB device. I believe this behavior is expected.)

---but---

If I stick in a 4gB card...
And if I have Windows Explorer open, inserting the card immediate "kills" the five USB devices that Windows calls drives in the left hand panel.
The 4gB card never shows up.

I took the same 8gB card, stuck in the Nikon and indeed the card works in the camera just fine but not as a standalone in the reader.

So - the reader itself is either faulty -or- it has a 2gB limitation that can't be exceeded. Do readers have special drivers or software that is needed to handle mem card capacities in excess of "X"? I didn't realize there was a size limitation. Is there a size limitation?

Thanks for any information.

H
Hoibie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:46 AM   #2

The card reader is compatible with SD Cards, but it's not compatible with SDHC Cards. 1GB and 2 GB cards are SD Cards; any card with a capacity greater that 4GB is an SDHC card (there were a handful of 4GB cards that were SD Cards, but most are SDHC cards.

The card reader isn't faulty; it's just not compatible with the larger SDHC cards.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:21 AM   #3

Default Perfect!

Thanks a bunch
We'll just use the cam...

H
Hoibie is offline   Reply With Quote