Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:55 PM   #1

Default Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB

Does anyone have this card, is it one of the fastest out there?
I wonder how many RAW+JPG (the max settings) can hold in one 16GB card on Canon 1D Mark III.

Last edited by mbworldz; Jan 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM.
mbworldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:18 PM   #2
Administrator

If you've already got reasonably fast cards, I think you'd probably be wasting your money buying one of the newer UDMA cards for your 1D Mark III expecting faster performance using one. It doesn't support faster UDMA transfer modes. Neither does the 1Ds Mark III.

It appears that the 1D Mark III probably tops out at around 15MB/Second Write speeds to media. See this chart (last updated 2008):

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9038

Here's one for the 1Ds Mark III, which tops out at slightly faster write speeds.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9256

Now, here's an article about the newer cards. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a chart with in camera write speeds using newer UDMA cards that includes the 1Ds Mark III

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10043-10255

Note that any increase in speed you get by buying a card that fast (newer 600x Extreme Pro) is probably going to be negligible compared to some of the older cards tested on the previous chart for that camera (and it looks like some of the older cards like the Extreme III and Extreme IV cards tested in a 1Ds Mark II were faster than the newer Extreme Pro, even though these newer cards are designed to be more than twice as fast as the older versions in devices that support the latest UDMA transfer modes).

I would not expect your 1D Mark II to behave any differently (as it doesn't support newer UDMA transfer modes). Again, see the in camera write speeds at the bottom of this page to get an idea how cameras with and without UDMA support compare (note how much faster the 5D Mark II can write to a newer card compared to a 1Ds Mark II).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10043-10255

To take full advantage of newer cards, you need a camera that supports the newer UDMA mode 5 and 6 transfers that a card like an Extreme Pro cards give you. Your Canon model doesn't support those faster transfer modes, although some of the newer Canon models do (for example, the 5D Mark II, 7D and 1D Mark IV support faster UDMA cards now).

As for photos on a card, raw files should be around 13MB (or 7.6MB for sRAW), and JPEG files should average around 3.5MB. But, content will determine the exact file sizes. So, that can vary depending on what you're shooting and camera settings being used. But, my guess is that you'd get around 800 raw + jpeg files on a 16GB card.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:25 PM   #3

I'm advised to use Transcend 400x cards for my forthcoming 7D, which has much greater storage requirements than the mark III. They're extremely reliable and way cheaper than Sandisk. In fact, the only card I've ever had which died irreparably (had to throw it away) was a Sandisk Extreme II. I'm not impressed with that brand, at any price.

Of course, speed in the camera isn't the only concern. Speed writing to the PC also matters. The 400X isn't as fast as a 600x would be, but a lot depends on the port and adapter you're using, and often the card isn't the determining factor.

Last edited by peterbj7; Jan 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:55 AM   #4

JimC is right :-)

Sandisk is known to write READ speeds on their cards. WRITE speed is much slower. But people with oil fountains ...

Even with fullHD video - verrrry fast are Canons with 43 Mbps (other cameras have 9-28 Mbps) - these are 5.4 MBps (class6) ... to buy 90 MBps is f-u-n-n-y!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Thanks guys. That totally make sense. I was just afraid when doing the 10fps shot, the card too slow to write :-(.
I am new to this Mark III camera. Still have a lot to learn. So which one would you suggest for me to get ? ScanDisk Extreme III , IV ?

Also I was reading the article about the Safety shift feature on this camera. Is this something I need to manually enable or it is automatic enabled on P. AV. mode...etc.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:43 PM   #6
Administrator

Personally, I just get a Transcend 400x card. A 16GB Card is only $59.99 from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-528-_-Product

It's not the fastest card around. But, it's faster than your camera is going to be able to write to a card anyway, and it's got great "bang for the buck" as faster cards go.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:50 PM   #7
Administrator

BTW, FWIW, I've got Transcend 133x and 266x CompactFlash cards I've used in a variety of dSLR models for 2 to 3 years with no problems at all. I just make sure to format the cards prior to *every* reuse, using the cameras' menu choice for format. That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera I'm using expects it, since the camera is performing the format. That reduces the potential for any corruption issues, and it's just as fast as deleting the images anyway.

I sure wouldn't pay for a Sandisk card for my purposes, as the Transcend brand cards have worked just fine (and they have a lifetime warranty).
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:42 PM   #8

so the 1D Mark III tops out at around 15MB/Second Write speeds to media? Does that consider slow writing speed for canon's flagship camera hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
BTW, FWIW, I've got Transcend 133x and 266x CompactFlash cards I've used in a variety of dSLR models for 2 to 3 years with no problems at all. I just make sure to format the cards prior to *every* reuse, using the cameras' menu choice for format. That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera I'm using expects it, since the camera is performing the format. That reduces the potential for any corruption issues, and it's just as fast as deleting the images anyway.

I sure wouldn't pay for a Sandisk card for my purposes, as the Transcend brand cards have worked just fine (and they have a lifetime warranty).
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:02 PM   #9

I have a Transcend 133x CF card both 4GB and 8GB models as well as a class10 16GB SDHC and never had any issues and I have shot closed to 15,000 images between the 3 cards

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote